MERGE search, apostrophe in tab name problem - results in tab name cannot be found

Brian Phillips

I'm trying to follow the video tutorial at https://www.accordancebible.com/merge-command/ (see the 1:42 mark)

I keep getting "This entry or tab name cannot be found". I'm searching for "English Content" in a study bible using the name of the bible tab in the same way that Dr. J does in the video. What am I doing wrong?

Interestingly, if I go to the bible tab and click the down arrow and choose "Rename tab", then *copy* the name that comes up in the rename window, then paste into my merge command, IT WORKS! 

I'll paste in from my 1) failed search that results in "...cannot be found" and 2) from the rename window:

1) ESV with Strong's

2) ESV with Strong’s

It seems likely the problem is that the name of the bible uses a tilted apostrophe, but the search box puts in a straight apostrophe when I type the apostrophe on my keyboard.

Is this something I have to correct on my end? I have a system setting to use smart quotes and dashes on my mac, and I prefer to keep it that way on the system. Not sure if that's the issue here, but mentioning it because I'd prefer internal consistency with Accordance (to use the same apostrophe throughout the program).

Edit: I tried turning off the smart quotes in system settings and restarting Accordance. It didn't help.

iMac 2020 -- Ventura 13.4.1

Accordance 14.0.6

US Keyboard Layout

image.thumb.png.1e99cd0b025a2300dd49dd29ab82ae0d.png

image.png.cb151bba889f83af0e4c608fff6e14e2.png

image.thumb.png.fcc4287cab9cfec3bc2d5c88536932bc.png

image.thumb.png.802c898a3b58fc41c09a17e08b4cd50f.png

Edited by Brian Phillips
update to what I did to try to solve.

I think the issue is that you're typing in the contents of the MERGE command manually. Simply enter the MERGE command by using the keyboard shortcut Command-Shift-m or using the menu Search—Enter Command—MERGE. It will automatically enter the tab name information for you. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

I think the issue is that you're typing in the contents of the MERGE command manually. Simply enter the MERGE command by using the keyboard shortcut Command-Shift-m or using the menu Search—Enter Command—MERGE. It will automatically enter the tab name information for you. 

Thanks -- That's much easier! 

• Like 1