Tagged English translation of the Septuagint?

Brian Phillips

I have SAAS, NETS and Brenton LXX, but none of them are tagged. Is there a tagged English Septuagint in the store?

No, there's not. 

And this isn't a great solution, but if you have a tagged text loaded in a parallel pane and the MT-LXX installed, Accordance will highlight the corresponding words.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 7.03.29 AM.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

No, there's not. 

And this isn't a great solution, but if you have a tagged text loaded in a parallel pane and the MT-LXX installed, Accordance will highlight the corresponding words.

Thanks. I do have MT-LXX installed, but would really like the corresponding highlights to work with the SAAS (as well as the SAAS + NKJV). Interestingly, the SAAS+NKJV doesn't have any tagging even in the NKJV portion.

The problem is that tagging an English translation of the LXX would be a massive amount of work. There are no Strong's or G/K numbers for most of the Greek in the OT, so they would have to be created from scratch. Then you'd have to do the work of actually manually tagging the entire OT with the numbers you created. After you've done all that work, you wouldn't own the translation you created, just the tagging info.

You could probably skip creating Strong's or G/K numbers and just add the proper metadata to each of the word in the OT, but the work would probably be about the same. And again, in the end you wouldn't own the rights to the translation and would have to share part of the sales with the original publisher.

I'd love to see it done, but I don't think Accordance has the resources to do this themselves.

• Like 2

The tagging would be a massive undertaking, especially since I don't think ChatGPT could do that yet. :-)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

The problem is that tagging an English translation of the LXX would be a massive amount of work. There are no Strong's or G/K numbers for most of the Greek in the OT, so they would have to be created from scratch. Then you'd have to do the work of actually manually tagging the entire OT with the numbers you created. After you've done all that work, you wouldn't own the translation you created, just the tagging info.

You could probably skip creating Strong's or G/K numbers and just add the proper metadata to each of the word in the OT, but the work would probably be about the same. And again, in the end you wouldn't own the rights to the translation and would have to share part of the sales with the original publisher.

I'd love to see it done, but I don't think Accordance has the resources to do this themselves.

The Lord has spoken to me just like in the days of old & said with a commanding voice tell @Mark Allisonthis is what he must do as a servant of the Most High!!!

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, ReformedDoc said:

The Lord has spoken to me just like in the days of old & said with a commanding voice tell @Mark Allisonthis is what he must do as a servant of the Most High!!!

I figured I would give it a shot....😁

As ai was used for the pirate translation, could ai be used for this?

I don't think it's quite there yet (unless I'm totally wrong), but it would be neat to see if AI can start tackling stuff like this.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:04 AM, Mark Allison said:

No, there's not. 

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 7.03.29 AM.png

Does this work with JUST the Hebrew/Aramaic?

@Jesse Dornfeld Yes it works only for the portions of the OT found in the Hebrew Bible (including the Aramaic sections). It does not work for the deuterocanonical and apocryphal books in the Septuagint. The MT-LXX database only links the Hebrew and Aramaic texts that are common to both HMT and LXX.

• Like 1