Searching for a verse in a resource.

Jesse Dornfeld

I just upgraded to Accordance 14.

I am almost positive there is a way to search for a verse in a resource.

I want to search for a specific verse or set of verses in a specific document. I want to do this by amplifying. I am new to amplifying, one of the great things about accordance, but have gotten great value out of what I have done with it. If someone could simply tell me what tutorial to look up, that would work, but I don't know where to start and I have had Accordance crash on me when trying to do tutorials.

Specifically, I would like to search verses such as Matthew 13:11; Mark 4:11; Romans 16:25;  1 Corinthians 2:7, 15:51; Ephesians 3:3-4; Colossians 1:26, 27; 1 Timothy 3:16; Revelation 10:7 (and more like it) in my Schaff's Church History. I want to know how the ECF viewed things regarding the "mystery made known to us [apostles and prophets]" which is littered throughout the NT. The idea is that authority was given to people based on the revelation they received from God. As such, this is the mark of an apostle, which I think is a title (and perhaps not the same as an office in church government) that continues today (though not in the same sense as "the 12").

Elsewise, if anyone knows of any resources that would be beneficial in my pursuit of learning more about "authority given based on the degree of revelation" that would also be most helpful.

Edited by Jesse Dornfeld

For starters, I would do a search like this: apostle* <AND> myster* , making sure that you have the range set to "paragraph" and not "article," the latter giving you over a thousand results to sift through. Searching by Scripture passage might not be precise enough, as allusions to Scripture are not always picked up in ECF.

You could also try apostle* <AND> prophet* <AND> myster*, but that will also orient you towards results that talk mostly about OT prophets, so it might be less helpful.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

@ReformedDoc and @Donald Cobb, thank you both!

One other question I have (for Schaff's Chruch History) is how to easily reference what writing I am looking at after a search.

I shall look into both of your solutions and report back.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jesse Dornfeld said:

@ReformedDoc and @Donald Cobb, thank you both!

One other question I have (for Schaff's Chruch History) is how to easily reference what writing I am looking at after a search.

I shall look into both of your solutions and report back.

For that, you could use either bookmarks or stacks. I find both of them very helpful.

• Like 1

There's also a "Scripture" field in Tools you can use for searching Scriptures of any tool.

I'm wondering if someone can help me with searching.

I want to do this search, but it is only searching for the or function:

"Save* <AND> Us <OR> We"

It doesn't work. I get hits for things like Genesis 1:26. How do I search for a combination of <AND> and <OR>

I just tried this image.thumb.png.870771e583e4864e1a2984f2feb9247c.png

1 hour ago, ReformedDoc said:

I just tried this image.thumb.png.870771e583e4864e1a2984f2feb9247c.png

What did you type for your search?

2 hours ago, Jesse Dornfeld said:

How do I search for a combination of <AND> and <OR>

You just need to enclose the 'or' elements with parentheses. In your example, it would be: Save* <AND> (Us <OR> We). You can find out more details on search commands and symbols in the Help files.

• Like 2

I just did save us <AND> we

On 7/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, ReformedDoc said:

I just did save us <AND> we

Thanks. That's not what I am looking for, but I appreciate the help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Dornfeld said:

Thanks. That's not what I am looking for, but I appreciate the help.

I thought I replied saying the one he did up above seems correct, I just did mine on the fly when you asked.

Edited by ReformedDoc
correction

20 minutes ago, ReformedDoc said:

I thought I replied saying the one he up above seems correct, I just did mine on the fly when you asked.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I guess it is partly my fault. I am still trying to hammer out the details of what to search for.

I tried to use the search you gave (I'm looking in the epistles primarily) and I am getting hits for "we" and nothing else. IDK if there is a problem on my end or not. No idea what is going on.

• Like 1

I've tried this which gives me better hits...

save* <AND> (us <OR> we )

But not enough hits.

I'll continue to try and work on it.