Accordance Highlighting System does not work

Enoch

Every since we were "upgraded" from 12, I have had great difficulty high-lighting.  I had done a lot of highlighting in the past, but that all seems lost now.  I just spent about an hour trying to creat a new highlighting file entitled Security-Con, & I can't get it to create.  I keep having only "New Highlight File" as the only file, though I have followed the instructions in Accordance help on this. And Control Opt H does not work as a shortcut.  I am using Big Sur OS, the highest OS supported by my iMac.  Highlighting worked so easily & intuitively before 13 was put upon us.  I have been unable to find a tutoral video anywhere on this. But if instructions are written out, I surely can follow them.  This is a big waste of my time & frustration.

In what I could get to work on my MacBook Pro, the highlighting now tends to obscure the text instead of highlighting. And I find that for yellow I have to go over the text 3 times to get something well viewable on yellow.  Each time you pass over the selected text, it changes color (big waste of time). 

Moving this to Tech Support since I can't reproduce this as an actual bug at the moment (and that way it'll get more exposure by other forum users).

Some other forum users will likely have some suggestions for you. If you continue to run into issues, I'd recommend emailing Tech Support.

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

In what I could get to work on my MacBook Pro, the highlighting now tends to obscure the text instead of highlighting. And I find that for yellow I have to go over the text 3 times to get something well viewable on yellow.  Each time you pass over the selected text, it changes color (big waste of time). 

Have you tried changing the density of the colors? You can change from "light" to "medium" or "dark" and vice versa.

• 1 month later...

Highlighting now yields poor results & I can't even get it to do what it ought to do.  Oh how I wish I had the system before Accordance 13. It simply does not work right in my computers.  And the results do not look good now.  And I have been unable to activate different highlight color schemes.  I am not getting something which looks like transparent result, but like painting over with opaque or translucent paint with words under it obscured.

Edited by Enoch

We brought up highlighting specifically with our programmers in a recent meeting. Our programmers are busy getting 14.0.8 finished and focusing on getting enhanced syncing out the door in a timely manner, but we do plan to have a session to discuss how we can improve on highlighting. I have all of your feedback and other user's feedback, and anything else you want to share on it, we're all ears.

• Thanks 1

Not to get you all irritated with constant repetition, but when you fix highlighting, make it easier to export highlights. I know this was discussed some months ago, so it is likely already on the list of "to do." If you forgot to put it on the list, then "DING" ... this is a reminder. 🙂

28 minutes ago, Mike Atnip said:

Not to get you all irritated with constant repetition, but when you fix highlighting, make it easier to export highlights. I know this was discussed some months ago, so it is likely already on the list of "to do." If you forgot to put it on the list, then "DING" ... this is a reminder. 🙂

It's pretty easy to export and share highlighting files.

The only trick is importing the file to the right subdirectory, and the process for doing so is a bit different on Win and Mac.

1 hour ago, mgvh said:

It's pretty easy to export and share highlighting files.

The only trick is importing the file to the right subdirectory, and the process for doing so is a bit different on Win and Mac.

Thanks. I did it before, but I remember that it is not straightforward like other software that I own. I am hoping for an upgraded system before I import a bunch of personal documents into Accordance, although I would love to do it now.

Is it that difficult just to restore the highlighting system of Acc 12?  Or make that an option to choose.  It was so beautiful & easy to use.  BTW, Nathan, thank you so much for addressing the issue.  You are a responsive host.

Edited by Enoch

I'm not sure what was all involved in the changes between 12 and 13 highlights, but I'll ask about it in a future meeting. We are looking at what changes we could make to improve the experience.