Question about V 14 on MacBook

Curtis Greenwood

I’m about to get a MacBook Air (2020) and am wondering whether I should download V 14 or V 13? Looking for honest answers as I don’t want to download V 14 if there are still too many bugs that will make for a frustrating experience…. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I find the new features in version 14 worth dealing with the remaining bugs, which should (hopefully) be resolved in 14.0.7. 

• Like 1

I am running 14.0.6 on an M2 MacBook Air (2022) and had very few issues with what I do. I am certainly happy I am using 14 with its new features over 13

Okay, thanks for the feedback!

I use 14 exclusively now, and overall, it's running well for me. You could wait until we release 14.0.7 since it should be happening coming up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

I use 14 exclusively now, and overall, it's running well for me. You could wait until we release 14.0.7 since it should be happening coming up.

I haven't used 13 for much of anything for several months now. That being said, @Nathan Parker, could you PLEASE put in a special request for the problem with the missing book names in the hits graph to be taken care of in 14.0.07?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

I find the new features in version 14 worth dealing with the remaining bugs, which should (hopefully) be resolved in 14.0.7. 

Hi @Mark Allison,

The webinar I went to about v.14 spoke about the "word study" which doesn't mesh with the work I am doing, and I also don't see the use for phrasing. Are there other features you see as a benefit to download it, or would you say v.14 is more for people who want the word study and phrasing?

• Like 1

One feature of V14 that is more useful in an academic setting is the increased number in bibliographic and citation styles available. Of course if the old styles met your needs, then you won't need the new options. ;)

--Joseph

• Like 2

For me, the verse picker is a real plus, as well as a much simpler way of activating dark mode. Of course, the big thing in my mind was being able to sync over different platforms without the problems of DropBox... Hope springs eternal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Mark Allison,

The webinar I went to about v.14 spoke about the "word study" which doesn't mesh with the work I am doing, and I also don't see the use for phrasing. Are there other features you see as a benefit to download it, or would you say v.14 is more for people who want the word study and phrasing?

As has been mentioned, I like the multiple citation formats, and the verse picker is nice too, especially when working with something like the Pseudepigrapha or even a Text that has deuterocanonical books. 

• Like 1

I'll bring up the bug report again. Thanks!

@Kristin I've found quick click verse picker and multiple citation formats useful. You may even enjoy Bible Word Study if you take it for a spin.

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Thank you for your response. I know the word study wouldn't work for me since it can't produce the pinpoint accuracy with original languages my work demands, but I am glad those features you mentioned work so well for users who have other needs.

23 hours ago, Kristin said:

... I know the word study wouldn't work for me since it can't produce the pinpoint accuracy with original languages my work demands, but I am glad those features you mentioned work so well for users who have other needs.

This is like throwing a grenade into the bible study playground and it invites a response. The term WORD STUDY  conjures up an image of home fellowship gatherings with BSF/Precept leaders. Lexical Semantics on the other hand is an academic discipline which is fascinating and requires a major commitment if one wants to become just moderately informed on the topic. From my limited perspective WORD STUDY is classical philology for home bible study groups. 

The work of Louw/Nida uses semantic domains based on theory now over half a century old. The Semantic Domain Hebrew Lexicon** is based on  a different theoretical model than Louw/Nida. I was introduced to this model in the mid-1980s while working with people who were doing AI research. I read everything Reinier de Blois published on this up until 2002 and have been using the Hebrew lexicon online in my current study of Isaiah. The theoretical basis of the lexicon isn't  self-evident. The theory is only understood by getting involved in cognitive linguistics. This isn't a minor project.

Since I don't do WORD STUDIES I can't comment on the tools for that in Accordance. Accordance version 9,8.x is more than adequate for lexical semantic research. The architecture of Accordance was designed for scholars doing research. It was GRAMCORD on Mac OS. Dr. Roy Brown had already produced MacBible and Accordance became MacBIBLE on steroids. The rest is history.

**Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew, edited by Reinier de Blois, with the assistance of Enio R. Mueller, ©2000-2021 United Bible Societies.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

50 minutes ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

This is like throwing a grenade into the bible study playground and it invites a response.

Hi @c. stirling bartholomew,

Thank you for your detailed response. Just to clarify, the reason I had stated that the word study did not allow for pinpoint accuracy is because that is what I had been told in the webinar. Before Accordance 14 was officially released there had been a webinar about the "word study" so I went to it out of curiosity. In the webinar the examples the presenter had used did not appear to be academically accurate, but rather provided a general idea. I thus asked my question in the webinar explaining that my work required pinpoint accuracy, and that it appeared that the "word study" feature was not able to produce that, and the presenter confirmed that was correct. So I had been left with the impression that the word study is very helpful for a lot of people depending on their work, but that it wouldn't specifically work for what I am doing. So I just wanted to clarify that my comment had just been from the response I was provided in the webinar.

• Like 1

@Kristin

Thank you for the clarification. I haven't participated in a webinar. Too out of touch with the current platform.

I prefer to study texts not words. My current text is Isaiah 27 as a subtext component of Isaiah 24-27. I have been working on Isaiah 27 for two months. I listen to it being read in Sephardic every day.  It isn't an easy read. I have hard copies of the best works E.J. Young 1969, J.N.Oswalt vol 1, J.A. Alexander 3v in 1v, J.A. Moyter, 1993, K&D e-text + hardcopy. When these fine fellows say Isa 27:7-8 is difficult you better be prepared. At first I was using the LXX as a parallel read but found it got in the way. I have Ken Penner's Isaiah in the Codex Sinaiticus (pdf).

I have a favorite semantic short cut in Accordance. I look for idioms all the time. I select several words in HMT-T and use keyboard short cut <command option F> which pastes a search string in the search field and performs the search. I often subsequently edit the string several times to focus the search. This may not work in current versions. It was a long time before I discovered this. For work on the semantics of phrases this is a huge time saver. Try this with: ביום ההוא

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew
  • Like 2