Scripture texts not saving in session

grahameb

My accordance install has developed an upsetting problem. I usually configure a session with all of the texts for my next sermon, and then I can close/reopen Accordance and resume work. Unfortunately the texts in each tab are not there when I re-open Accordance. This is with the NRSV module. Oddly, the Psalm (my second tab) does resume, but the others all revert to no text showing in the selector, so Gen 1 is shown.

I'm running accordance 13.3.4 and I've tried making a new session from scratch, but that didn't fix it.

• Like 1

Can you possibly post a before and after screenshot to help understand the issue?

• Like 1

No worries. Steps to reproduce:

Open a new accordance session.

Set text Genesis 24.34–38, 24.42–49, 24.58–67 with parallel text Hebrew Bible (Biblia Hebraica) and New Oxford Annotated.

Duplicate current tab; set text Psalm 45.10-17

Duplicate current tab; swap Biblia Hebraica for NA28 Greek NT; set text Romans 7.14–25

Duplicate current tab; set text Matthew 11.15–19, 11.25–30

Save the session

Close accordance

Screenshot just before closing is before.jpg.

Open accordance

All the tabs have reset to no scripture set, except for the Psalm tab, which remembers its place. (see after.jpg)

This has been my workflow for a long time and it only broke recently, in the last few versions.

Thanks for any help

Grahame

before.png

after.png

I have similar issues as well. Let’s just say I’m In Jeremiah and want to go elsewhere, it’ll send me somewhere else. Majority of the to Genesis.

If it helps, here's the .accord file that fails to reload the scriptures.

Running `strings` on it, I can see the verses I've specified are in the file.

OT6.accord

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have Accordance 13, so I can't test it in 13. Emailing Tech Support might be able to give you a quicker answer.

Before you do that though, what happens if you go to Preferences (or Settings)>General and look at "Startup"? In your case, it sounds like you'll want it set to "Last Session". 

Thanks, I've emailed support - I cleared all my preferences and upgraded to Accordance 14 and I've still got the problem, so I hope they can help me.

This seems to also be an ongoing bug with the current beta version of 14. The attached file loads with no text.

MacBook Pro M2 Max (Mac14,6) with macOS 13.4.1 (c)

pleasing the Lord.accord

Got your email, and asking you for some additional info just to rule out a few things. Will also post them here:

1. Under Preferences/Settings, General, is your Startup Settings set to Last Session?

2. Under System Preferences or System Settings on your Mac, is “Close Windows When Quitting an Application” unchecked?

Also, what specific version number of Accordance and macOS are you on?

Thanks for this info @Lester P. Bagley. Between you and Grahame, maybe we can track this down.

Billy from tech support and I have figured this one out – it's quite a strange issue, it turns out.

I had been copying and pasting the verse references for the coming Sunday from a website, epray.com.au. Those verse references were rich text including hyperlinks that I'd highlighted in the web browser, and pasted into the text box in each Accordance tab. This worked fine while Accordance was running, but for some reason broke when Accordance was restarted, or the workspace file was otherwise loaded.

Thanks Nathan for your help, and thanks also Billy - the workaround is to simply type in the verse references, rather than copying & pasting them, and then they are remembered and properly restored.

3 hours ago, grahameb said:

This worked fine while Accordance was running, but for some reason broke when Accordance was restarted, or the workspace file was otherwise loaded.

Looking at @grahameb's repro steps above, I see he's also using en dashes in his search string. I reported a similar problem a while back:

@Nathan Parker, @Billy32792, @Silas Marrs: The above post contains some analysis as to what the root cause might be. Hopefully that'll help with the fix.

• Like 1

As @Steven S said, it looks like we're there's an issue while reading a non-unicode english text from the workspace file that'll cause problems with anything that's not standard ASCII.  I'll fix it for the next release, but you can use normal dashes until then.

• Like 2

We're glad to assist!