Emil Schürer: The History of the Jewish People in the Age of Jesus Christ (175 B.C.-A.D. 135)

David Padfield

I love this series of books and use them on a very regular basis. I couldn't find anyone selling a digital version, but maybe you can. His impeccable citing of original sources would make a great addition to Accordance.

• Like 2

I agree.  This is one that Accordance could easily publish and it would be an invaluable resource to have.

• Like 1

Do you mean the original, or the update/revision by Vermes et al? I'd be very interested in the updated version. It's a bit long in the tooth but there's nothing quite like it, apart from the first few volumes of Compendia Rerum Iudaicarum ad Novum Testamentum.

• Like 1

the 2019 publication is of the 1923 work judging from the kindle version. 

• Publisher ‏ : ‎ Wentworth Press (5 Mar. 2019)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 106 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0526953403
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0526953400

the vermes one looks like a 1973 publication

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/history-of-the-jewish-people-in-the-age-of-jesus-christ-volume-1-9780567022424/

i agree, it would be preferable to have the later edition despite it being 50 years old but there may be even more recent publications that are worth considering. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 11:58 AM, A. Smith said:

Do you mean the original, or the update/revision by Vermes et al? I'd be very interested in the updated version. It's a bit long in the tooth but there's nothing quite like it, apart from the first few volumes of Compendia Rerum Iudaicarum ad Novum Testamentum.

In my ignorance, I did not even realize that there was an updated version! I have been using my old set. A few years ago, I scanned the books into PDF files with OCR so I could access and search them faster.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Padfield said:

I did not even realize that there was an updated version! I have been using my old set.

Thats what i love about this forum, i hadn't either till it was pointed out above and i did some digging!

;o) 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 8:07 PM, ukfraser said:

the 2019 publication is of the 1923 work judging from the kindle version. 

• Publisher ‏ : ‎ Wentworth Press (5 Mar. 2019)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 106 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0526953403
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0526953400

the vermes one looks like a 1973 publication

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/history-of-the-jewish-people-in-the-age-of-jesus-christ-volume-1-9780567022424/

i agree, it would be preferable to have the later edition despite it being 50 years old but there may be even more recent publications that are worth considering. 

I've got zero interest in the original 1923 publication. There is no revision beyond the 70's version. But there are other, more recent works that approach the topic. But again, nothing quite so focused and comprehensive. For those doing Gospels/historical Jesus work, it's still standard.