iCloud Photos vs Dropbox

Dr. Nathan Parker

Right now my entire photo library and albums are stored in iCloud Photos, and they seem to be working OK and pretty seamless. I’m also using iCloud Shared Photo Library with my mother so we can more easily share photos with each other.

We’re using a little over 200GB of iCloud Storage, so I’m forced to pay for the 2TB plan.

However, I’m also paying for a 2TB Dropbox Plan. I had all of my files in iCloud Drive, and everything would have fit fine on one iCloud 2TB Plan. The problem is, I simply cannot get iCloud Drive to reliably sync, period. There are times when I’ve thrown stuff in iCloud Drive and it never appeared on my Windows PC, and even Mac/iOS syncing has been glitchy (an app I use that uses iCloud sync continued to overwrite data when it synced between apps).

So I’ve moved all of my documents to Dropbox for the time being. Eventually, I’d like to move all my documents to Proton Drive, as I’m going to need Proton VPN Plus coming up, and moving to a Proton Unlimited subscription would allow me to consolidate all of that under Proton. I’d rather give Proton my annual membership dues anyway. That’ll have to wait until the sync clients for macOS and Windows are available, and they’ll have to be tested to ensure they reliably work before I’d give up Dropbox.

In the meantime, since I’m “double paying” for Dropbox and iCloud, I’d like to at least reduce my iCloud plan if I could. Are there any alternatives to Apple Photos that also has a shared photo library that would interface well with Dropbox (and eventually, Proton Drive), or am I stuck “double paying” for the simplicity of using Apple Photos with my family and using Dropbox for file syncing?

In the past I have synced my photos off my iPhone with Google Photos. It used to be no limit on number or size of photos. Not sure now, but might be worth checking into. It was free for me at the time.

Thanks!

Google Photos counts all photos and uploaded since June 1, 2021 toward your Google storage quota, which is 15 GB unless you pay for more.

Good to know. Thanks!