What Hebrew and Greek lexicons do you use?

Larry Wing

I'm interested in find out from others what Hebrew and Greek lexicons you use/like. Particularly those aren't too in depth referencing other works.

• Like 1

I guess I did not really answer the question, as I noticed after I copied & pasted...I start off with the heavy hitters.

HEBREW

HALOT

The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament

TDOT

Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament

TLOT (JENNI-WESTERMANN)

Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament (Jenni-Westermann)

NIDOTTE

New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology & Exegesis

GREEK

BDAG

A Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early Christian Literature, Third Edition

revised and edited by Fredrick William Danker

BRILL DICTIONARY OF ANCIENT GREEK

The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek, 3rd ed. (MGS)

TDNT (BIG KITTEL)

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT Complete)

LOUW & NIDA

Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains (Louw & Nida)

The Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible by Jeff A. Benner - excellent for looking at roots and often provides rationale for different meanings of the same word.

Also gives some equivalent sounding English words which must be taken with a grain of salt (as acknowledged by author) but is useful for increasing one's vocab.

Concise Dictionary of Classical Hebrew.

All of the standard major Hebrew and Greek Lexicons

A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament - gives corresponding equivalent Hebrew word from the Tanach.

HALOT and BDAG are my go-to lexicons, but I also like NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE.
Both NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE include a "List of Concepts" (NIDOTTE calls it a "Index of Semantic Fields). The cool thing is that you can look up an English word, and find all the original language words with a similar semantic range.
(FWIW, on the Greek side, Louw & Nida has essentially the same feature for a lot less money than NIDNTTE).

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 6.37.22 AM.png

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

HALOT and BDAG are my go-to lexicons, but I also like NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE.
Both NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE include a "List of Concepts" (NIDOTTE calls it a "Index of Semantic Fields). The cool thing about that is that you can look up an English word, and find all the original language words with a similar semantic range.
(FWIW, on the Greek side, Louw & Nida has essentially the same feature for a lot less money than NIDNTTE).

I Have both NIDOTTE and NIDNTTE, I use them a lot as well as Louw & Nida because I like their breakdown.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 4:29 AM, Larry Wing said:

Particularly those aren't too in depth referencing other works.

As a starting point and i particularly like the various links, i use mounce's expository dictionary as it isnt a too in depth reference. Not sure if i interpreted you correctly. But mounce has links to nidotte, nidnnt and nidntt-a (which meant buying it as well and it is cheap but doesnt come up on offer very often so you need a store wide or webinar voucher). The links make digging in my lexicons easy when approaching from an English word.

But obviously misses out the two standard references of bdag and halot.

the screenshot is from mounce's definition of 'way' and shows links to nidotte and nidntt-a

577D7B8B-09E1-4042-8AC0-49FE74AC313B.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Thank you, all. Very helpful.

Here are mine for Greek and in the order that I use them:

image.png.d44b60c471fe4c5c43b5881ee4b49b7f.png

Hebrew: HALOT, NIDOTTE, TDOT, I also love CBL

Greek: BDAG, NIDNTTE, TDNT, I also love CBL, I also use Brill DAG and Louw-Nida

I'll dip into others (I like Complete Word Study Dictionary, etc). Those are the ones I turn to the most though.

For a quick glance I use Mounce for Greek & Mounce-Kohlberger for Hebrew. For a deep-dive I use BADG (to start) for Greek and HALOT (to start) for Hebrew/Aramaic

@Nathan ParkerI have and use CBL OT & NT; it is an interesting module.

I like it because it's a "cheat sheet" to some searches I could do in Accordance.

• Like 1