English dictionary in Word Study

Larry Wing

I'm going through the word study video and see he's using Eardman's dictionary for the English definition. My set up shows Websters but I can't find where to change my English dictionary. I've looked in Settings didn't see there and I have ISBE at top of my library.

Acc 14.0.6 on Mac Ventura

It's probably because you're performing an English Word Study for "Key Number" instead of "Word." If you use "Key Number," it's always going to use the associated Key Number dictionary.

(Whoops. Just read your comment a little more closely. This isn't the solution to your problem, but perhaps it will help someone else).

Edited by Mark Allison

The setting you're looking for is in the "Amplify" section of your Settings. Look for "English" under "Triple-Click Defaults."

@Mark Allison thank you but I have Anchor Bible Dictionary in Triple-Click Defaults.

I'm pretty sure what's happening is that it's defaulting to Webster's when it can't find the word in the Entry field in your default dictionary (Anchor, in your case). Try searching for a word you know will be an Entry in Anchor (like Jerusalem, or God).

I think you're correct.  According to Anchor's TOC "Spirit" is not listed. I tried ISBE and ISBE Revised and they both have "Spirit" (Websters still came up in Word Study) but they both have "Spirit" as a main category with "OT" and "NT" as sub categories. I suspect Word Study doesn't know to go to sub categories based on original language in ESV?

I've changed my setting to Eerdman's and now it's working same as video.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think both ISBEs are formatted with "Title" fields instead of "Entry" field, so even though they're dictionaries, they may not work. Anchor is my go-to dictionary, but for Word study I use Eerdmans, because it seems to have a greater number of hits in the title field and the content is pretty comprehensive.

Do you go to settings to change to Eerdmans when doing word study or is there some way to over ride the default settings?

Yes, Word Study uses the settings in Settings—>Amplify—>English to determine the default dictionary.

As it turns out if I'd just watched a little more the reason that Websters is used is discussed.

• Like 1

If you move around different dictionaries in your dictionaries folder, I think it'll go through that list to look up words until it finds a dictionary that has it.

Thanks. I'll check out.  I did have ISBE, Anchor, ISBE Revised and after that not sure.  Somehow my Eerdmans ended up in a new category I had created - "Foreign Language". 

Thanks for the update!