Is the iOS version able to read to you?

Larry McNamee

Can you set the iPhone or iPad to have the Accordance iOS version read the Bible (or modules) while traveling?  If so, how would you set that up?

I'm not aware of it being able to read to you yet (except for the biblical language audio files), but stay tuned on the audio Bibles front...

What you can do is use the print function in a desktop version of Accordance to save a PDF and then use an iOS app to read the PDF to you. I use Voice Dream, which has nice voices, but the iOS system voices are not bad, and there may be a free app that will read with them. If you're doing this with a Bible, you probably want to go to the Advanced tab of the pane display settings and choose "Omit entire reference" so it doesn't read verse numbers to you. 

Screenshot2023-06-20at10_26_48AM.thumb.jpeg.14faf63bb37f1e4d9271d3bf6375ea08.jpeg

I haven't found a reader that does well with Greek. The Sharon voice from Acapela, which I use in Voice Dream, spells out Greek words letter by letter, and the Apple voices switch to a Modern Greek voice, which is not a pronunciation I'm used to.

• Like 1

Thanks for this!

Thanks for the work around.  I hope they imbed a reader in iOS like the MacOS v. 14.

I believe iOS itself has some form of speech functionality built in. We'd just have to see how we could tap into it. In the meantime, stay turned on the audio Bibles front.

13 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

stay turned on the audio Bibles front.

Hopefully to include control on playback speed (also in the desktop versions please).

Yes, iOS does have reading capabilities. I have another Bible program that reads to me. I’d prefer Accordance, so that I could have commentaries and other modules read to me as well.

This feature would be amazing to have on iOS and desktop!