Documentary Hypothesis

ukfraser

I understand that there is a lot of debate about this but i was wondering what is the best resource in accordance to get a feel for what some of the thoughts are and where discussion is going. 

thanks

You'll find a lot of discussion on the Documentary Hypothesis in the Journals, but they're getting outdated. 

The Andersen-Forbes syntax database will allow you to search for JEDP and highlight the appropriate sections. It's pretty cool.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/andersen-forbes-syntax-database/

• Like 2

Also, in the Accordance Exchange, David Martyn has created a highlight file that highlights the Documentary Hypothesis for the book of Genesis.

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/highlights.htm

To install it, download and unzip the file, then place the file "Sources.hlt" in Documents—>Accordance Files—>Highlights. Then restart Accordance and select "Sources" from Window—>Highlights—>Select Highlights File.

• Thanks 2

Looking at exchange, i see you have also done a sources file for use with the af syntax database. You kept that quiet. Such riches! One day...

but am i right that i cant use exchange files on an ipad using the semi skinned version of accordance?

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Yes, you can sync highlights from your computer to your iPad and it'll work great.

• Like 1

Some OT introductions or OT biblical theologies also cover it, although some can get pretty in-depth.

Anchor Yale Dictionary has got a lot of good material which I find accessible

The Anchor Bible Commentary volumes on the Torah have lots threaded through them though Speiser is quite old now though still excellent - actually they are all quite old

The Continental Commentary by dint of it covering more of the Torah than Hermeneia does has a more recent approach

In some ways I think the Forms of the OT Literature might be your best bet in Accordance along with JBL - dear Accordance please can we have an update to this

If you are looking at debate from last few years then there isn't anything in Accordance but finding library where you can access Journal of Old Testament Studies should help - you could also contact Sheffield Uni for some recommendations

not sure how helpful that is

• Like 2

Thanks! Post a forum thread about JBL Updates to Module Requests (or revive a previous one if it's there) and we'll add it to our list to track.

• 7 months later...

I expect that (non-Jimmy) Gleason Archer's OT Intro has been updated since I bought my copy way back when. But my edition has about 1/3 (or more) of the OT Intro, as I recall, devoted to JEDP Documentary (treating it as Documentary Delusion).  You might rename Archer's OT Intro (early edition) as The JEDP Hypothesis & other OT topics.  Are there now revised editions?