Limiting the range of a lexeme search in the Hebrew?

SWC

I can easily do a lexeme search in the Hebrew ETCBC by doing a right click on any word and then select “Lexeme”.

The search will find hits all the hits from GENESIS - 2 CHRONICLES and is very easy to do.

But is there an easy way to limit a lexeme search to a defined range, such as GENESIS?

I know I could define a range using the standard procedure, but after defining the range, it seems I have to enter the Hebrew word in the search entry area and use “search for letters” which I suspect will only find the inflected form of what I have pasted in.

Is there an easy and smooth way to limit the range of a lexeme search in the Hebrew text so I can get all the inflected forms of a word in just the Book of GENESIS?

• Like 1

The easiest way I know is to right-click on the world and select Search for—Lexeme. When the new tab opens, press command-shift-r and enter the range (like Gen) and hit return.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 2

Thanks Mark!

I had to modify your steps a bit to get it to work.  After the "Search for—Lexeme", I had to click the plus symbol and choose the predefined "Gen" range then hit return as a second search but the second search does seem to give the results I was looking for.

• Like 1

It would be nice to be able to do this in one search. I'm not sure how. Perhaps add a sub category in the right-click, e.g., "lemma => all (or) books => list of books (Gen, Ex, Lev, etc.). I've often thought that two different actions is a little drawn-out.

12 hours ago, Steve Carruth said:

Thanks Mark!

I had to modify your steps a bit to get it to work.  After the "Search for—Lexeme", I had to click the plus symbol and choose the predefined "Gen" range then hit return as a second search but the second search does seem to give the results I was looking for.

Did the Range command not work for you when you pressed Command-R? Make sure your cursor is in the Search Entry box.

2 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Did the Range command not work for you when you pressed Command-R? Make sure your cursor is in the Search Entry box.

Even if my cursor is in the search entry area after the results appear for the search, pressing Command-R opens a dialogue box for choosing a range.  It does not give me the search range command that I can fill in with a search range.  See the screenshot of the dialogue box that appears when I press Command-R.

However, as I continued to tweak the search, I think I stumbled across the answer.  Rather than Command-R, if I do a Command-Shift-R, then I get the Range command that allows me to enter "Gen".  It may be a preference setting difference between what happens when you do Command-R and when I do Command-R.  Regardless this was a good learning experience! 

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.49.48 AM.png

• Like 1

Sorry, my bad! It's command-shift-r. I've edited my original post so that others aren't misinformed.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Carruth said:

Even if my cursor is in the search entry area after the results appear for the search, pressing Command-R opens a dialogue box for choosing a range.  It does not give me the search range command that I can fill in with a search range.  See the screenshot of the dialogue box that appears when I press Command-R.

However, as I continued to tweak the search, I think I stumbled across the answer.  Rather than Command-R, if I do a Command-Shift-R, then I get the Range command that allows me to enter "Gen".  It may be a preference setting difference between what happens when you do Command-R and when I do Command-R.  Regardless this was a good learning experience! 

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.49.48 AM.png

This is absolutely great to know! Thanks for stumbling upon it, Steve! It can be a huge time saver.

Just a little chime in on this topic. Setting a range (using CMD/CTRL-R) or using the RANGE command should give the same hits, but may result in slightly different analytics.

For example, if you define the range using CMD-R (I have chosen Genesis in my example here) then do a search for ahb you get the following results when you do a hits graph analysis.

Screenshot2023-06-11at16_17_38.thumb.png.5ed3074bea94f82a4a74da017212dec4.png

If instead of the range condition you use the RANGE command, you get the same HITS but the dataset is spread over the entire corpus not just the specified range.

Screenshot2023-06-11at16_18_01.thumb.png.3737c2faf7136db3f5006465f352ae69.png

The RANGE command is quick and dirty, the range condition is more nuanced, and is saved in your search ranges so you can reuse them (there is a very good populated search ranges file on the accordance exchange if anyone is interested). And remember ranges (either in the RANGE command or the range condition can be as complicated as you wish in terms of pericopes - basically any verse ranges you can type in the search bar can be used as a search range)

I use both all the time. You can ONLY modify your range conditions on desktop accordance not mobile (iOS or Android) - they are preset in the mobile accordance.

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 2