Do I Need the Brill's/Should I have them?

ReformedDoc

You can't beat that steep discount off the retail price!

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 5.17.28 PM.png

• Haha 4

Seriously though, imo if you have BDAG, you're fine. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Here's a good article if you're considering a purchase:

https://niedergall.com/bdag-vs-brilldag-battle-of-the-greek-lexicons/

Actually I have a 25% off coupon since I have been buying a lot of resources to try to feed Nathan...😁

• Haha 1

I have Brill on Logos and have consulted it, but I am with @Mark Allison, so far it has added little to BDAG if anything. There may be some content differences I have not been able to identify yet (I have not made a review of it any kind of priority).

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Gary Pauley said:

I have Brill on Logos and have consulted it, but I am with @Mark Allison, so far it has added little to BDAG if anything. There may be some content differences I have not been able to identify yet (I have not made a review of it any kind of priority).

Alright I am just going to get a couple textual commentaries & the K & D for the Old Testament, unless a track down some thing else before i check out. If you guys have any suggestion on should or must have for the OT & NT please let me know. @Gary Pauley @Mark Allison 

Commentary on the Manuscripts and Text of the New Testament, A (Comfort)

Metzger: A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament

Edited by ReformedDoc

I would also agree with Mark and Gary reading Brill. My suggestion on a resource would be the unabridged LSJ (which I do not see in your screenshot). It's essential for diachronic study.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darrylmy said:

I would also agree with Mark and Gary reading Brill. My suggestion on a resource would be the unabridged LSJ (which I do not see in your screenshot). It's essential for diachronic study.

I was thinking about adding it in Accordance, but I do have it in Logos though I am trying to stay in Accordance when studying.

8 minutes ago, ReformedDoc said:

I was thinking about adding it in Accordance, but I do have it in Logos though I am trying to stay in Accordance when studying.

Ahh, that does make LSJ a bit more difficult to justify since Accordance does not (yet, here's to hoping!) have the supplement and Logos does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReformedDoc said:

I don't mean to take away sales from Accordance, but I also have LSJ in another package, but remember that you can get to LSJ through the External Websites tool in Accordance.

Here's the link you should use:    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=***&la=greek#lexicon

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mgvh said:

I don't mean to take away sales from Accordance, but I also have LSJ in another package, but remember that you can get to LSJ through the External Websites tool in Accordance.

Here's the link you should use:    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/morph?l=***&la=greek#lexicon

No sales loss & i am still looking through their modules. i have 3 adeed but knowing me I will have a few more before I check out & thanks.

I use the lexicon literally every day. I don't have and wouldn't use the etymological dictionary. But for my work (translation) there simply can't be enough good lexica. Brill is great (along with LSJ) for giving me usage in a wider corpus to reference and compare. If you're really just interested in exegesis for sermon prep, probably not needed. But if you're doing scholarly work, it's required. I'd say the same about Cambridge's dictionary also (paper only, so far as I can tell)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

I use the lexicon literally every day. I don't have and wouldn't use the etymological dictionary. But for my work (translation) there simply can't be enough good lexica. Brill is great (along with LSJ) for giving me usage in a wider corpus to reference and compare. If you're really just interested in exegesis for sermon prep, probably not needed. But if you're doing scholarly work, it's required. I'd say the same about Cambridge's dictionary also (paper only, so far as I can tell)

I didn't get it with the modules I bought yesterday but I think I will go ahead and get it soon, thanks for the review.

13 hours ago, Gary Pauley said:

It's true there is a lot of overlap. But there have been some occasions (which I can't remember off the top of my head but it was some of the hapax and other rare words in Titus) where BrillDAG has had the references I needed to close a decision I was wavering on. 

Just now, ReformedDoc said:

I didn't get it with the modules I bought yesterday but I think I will go ahead and get it soon, thanks for the review.

My main gripe is that accordance doesn't allow us to search it via [link] to other lexica as we can the others. I think this is due to some font or programing issue that I don't put any effort into understanding (that's why I use apple!). But it's a pain that I have to search it separately of the others. But it's worth it for some words so I do. 

40 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

It's true there is a lot of overlap. But there have been some occasions (which I can't remember off the top of my head but it was some of the hapax and other rare words in Titus) where BrillDAG has had the references I needed to close a decision I was wavering on. 

Yah I'm still consulting it waiting for that to happen 🙃

• Haha 1

I concur with @A. Smith about the value of the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek. (BTW, though some refer to it as BrillDAG or as GE, the decided SBL shorthand is MGS referring to the editors, as BDAG does.)

I regularly check it in my translation work, and it oftentimes provides a slightly different perspective or suggests an English word for translation that provides the nuance I'm seeking.

I did not get, and don't see as much need to check, the Etymological Dictionary of Greek for the work I do.

@A. Smith: I use Live Click with Lexicon Lookup enabled. I created my own group of lexicons, and MGS shows up just fine.

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I got MGS on another platform before it was available on Accordance. Makes it more work to check simultaneously. Lesson learned.

12 minutes ago, mgvh said:

I concur with @A. Smith about the value of the Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek. (BTW, though some refer to it as BrillDAG or as GE, the decided SBL shorthand is MGS referring to the editors, as BDAG does.)

I regularly check it in my translation work, and it oftentimes provides a slightly different perspective or suggests an English word for translation that provides the nuance I'm seeking.

I did not get, and don't see as much need to check, the Etymological Dictionary of Greek for the work I do.

@A. Smith: I use Live Click with Lexicon Lookup enabled. I created my own group of lexicons, and MGS shows up just fine.

That's an idea I'll try. Thanks.

I know they prefer MGS (as does SBL) but IDK, lol. It will always be BrillDAG to me! Unless I'm publishing, of course!

• Like 1

Like A. Smith I use the BrillDAG rely much daily as my main go-to Lexicon

looking at the dictionaries in your menu these are very focussed on the NT

If you are only reading the NT there is not much additional you would get from BrillDAG

However, as A. Smith points out if you have a wider reading interest then you will need a lexicon that covers this literature

for example - form where I am currently reading in the Wisdom of Solomon (book 8 first few verses)  - the following words are not in the  BDAG

μύστις/μύστης

αἱρετὶς/αἱρετης

τεχνῖτις

τέρψις

so to cover this literature you would need another lexicon - either LSJ or BrillDAG

personally I prefer the BrillBAG to LSJ for the following reasons

• it is newer - 2015 vs 1940
  • more inclusion of recent papyrological evidence (as newer)
  • always translates examples given into English
  • clear layout

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gary Pauley said:

Yah I'm still consulting it waiting for that to happen 🙃

I think it all depends on our precise needs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim Planche said:

Like A. Smith I use the BrillDAG rely much daily as my main go-to Lexicon

looking at the dictionaries in your menu these are very focussed on the NT

If you are only reading the NT there is not much additional you would get from BrillDAG

However, as A. Smith points out if you have a wider reading interest then you will need a lexicon that covers this literature

for example - form where I am currently reading in the Wisdom of Solomon (book 8 first few verses)  - the following words are not in the  BDAG

μύστις/μύστης

αἱρετὶς/αἱρετης

τεχνῖτις

τέρψις

so to cover this literature you would need another lexicon - either LSJ or BrillDAG

personally I prefer the BrillBAG to LSJ for the following reasons

• it is newer - 2015 vs 1940
  • more inclusion of recent papyrological evidence (as newer)
  • always translates examples given into English
  • clear layout

don't abandon LSJ, though. Particularly the supplement (which strangely isn't in Accordance)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

don't abandon LSJ, though. Particularly the supplement (which strangely isn't in Accordance)

Absolutely - was going to add at the end - will often go to LSJ as well - the more lexical the better...

though if there were only one....

also think the BrillDAG is (very slightly) cheaper 

Edited by Tim Planche
typo

2 hours ago, Tim Planche said:

μύστις/μύστης

αἱρετὶς/αἱρετης

τεχνῖτις

τέρψις

Hi @Tim Planche,

Thank you for the specific examples. Using the example of τεχνῖτις which you listed, you are correct that BDAG doesn't have it. However, what people haven't been talking about on this thread, is that there are other resources besides Brill which DO list it.

If you don't mind, could you post a screenshot of what Brill (and LSJ if you have it) says for the entry of τεχνῖτις ?

I am interested to see if the entry lists more information than the "non-BDAG" books I have which note it.

Kristin

• Like 1