Tyndale Open Study Notes: Import XML files?

mgvh

Tyndale has made their Bible study notes an open resource via a Creative Commons license.

The zipped folder is downloadable here: https://tyndaleopenresources.com/

The contents are XML files.

Is there any way to import XML files like this into Accordance?

Good question. We'll see if someone here can comment on this. I haven't tried it myself.

Our module developers could probably do it, but being able to import them into a User Tool would be nice.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 11:22 AM, mgvh said:

Tyndale has made their Bible study notes an open resource via a Creative Commons license.

The zipped folder is downloadable here: https://tyndaleopenresources.com/

The contents are XML files.

Is there any way to import XML files like this into Accordance?

This morning, the website is redirecting to itself, so I can't take a look at the files. However, in general, the answer is that XML cannot be directly imported into Accordance (or Logos, or …). It would have to be transformed into another format, like HTML, using something like XSLT or an ad hoc script (e.g., with Python and BeautifulSoup). Then the HTML could be imported to make a User Tool. Alternatively, HTML for individual notes could be converted to RTF with a tool like pandoc, and the resulting folder of RTF files imported as a User Tool. In any case, some development work is necessary on the part of the user importing the data.

• Like 1

Great feedback. Thanks!

The website is working for me now, so I downloaded the files and took a look at them. The XML modestly documented and is obviously designed to map in a straightforward way to HTML5. In particular, it structures the text using paragraphs and spans with classes, which are convenient for CSS, but ignored by Accordance HTML import.

I don't have the interest to spend my time working on this, but if I did, I think a Reference User Tool would be a more appropriate way to import it than User Notes. This is because many of the notes regard ranges of verses, and there are notes on single verses within the ranges covered by more general. A Reference field in a User Tool could be used to represent the verse or range of verses covered by a study note, while a note in a set of User Notes is attached to a single verse.

Although the XML appears to be well thought out and well structured, it would need work to adapt it to what a User Tool can represent, and the subset of this that can be created by Accordance's current HTML import. I think this is beyond what can be easily achieved with XSLT, so a script in Python or another language would be needed. If someone wants to work on it, I could offer advice, but I'm not going to work on it myself.

• Like 1

@jlm: Thanks!