Where is the best place for TDOT Index

ReformedDoc

Is there a place I should put this module that will give it the best functionality?

Hi @ReformedDoc,

Mine is under Hebrew dictionaries, but functionally, I use it under that "recently opened" section.

• Like 1

Mine's in Hebrew Lexicons. I have TDOT itself up higher in my list and TDOT Aramaic and the Index down the list a bit (for now). You'll get a ton of benefit out of TDOT itself. I started using it in seminary in my Hebrew classes when I realized that I needed to better nuance out "chesed" and other Hebrew words in my translations.

Not to fuel your book "addition" more (OK, maybe a little), but NIDOTTE makes an excellent companion to TDOT. I usually consult both together.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Mine's in Hebrew Lexicons. I have TDOT itself up higher in my list and TDOT Aramaic and the Index down the list a bit (for now). You'll get a ton of benefit out of TDOT itself. I started using it in seminary in my Hebrew classes when I realized that I needed to better nuance out "chesed" and other Hebrew words in my translations.

Not to fuel your book "addition" more (OK, maybe a little), but NIDOTTE makes an excellent companion to TDOT. I usually consult both together.

That is where i ended up putting it right under the HALOT & I already have the NIDOTT, I got that & the HALOT when I bought Academic Bundle Blue - Level 2 (Accordance 13)😁and thank @Kristin

• Like 1

Hi @Nathan Parker and @ReformedDoc,

I have TDOT, but I never bought NIDOTTE since while TDOT is primarily about etymology, the description of NIDOTTE seemed to be more pastoral in nature.

Would you guys say my impression is accurate, or do you see NIDOTTE also as an etymology book? And if so, what is the primary difference between it and TDOT?

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Nathan Parker and @ReformedDoc,

I have TDOT, but I never bought NIDOTTE since while TDOT is primarily about etymology, the description of NIDOTTE seemed to be more pastoral in nature.

Would you guys say my impression is accurate, or do you see NIDOTTE also as an etymology book? And if so, what is the primary difference between it and TDOT?

Yes, I would say whoever did the write ups for the Accordance website explains both well, it does have some etymology on some of the words & others none just the OT, NT uses of the word. To be be fair it has a decent amount throughout the entirety, but not on the level of the TDOT.

אוֹת (ʾôt I), nom. sign, mark (H253).

ANE    The etymology of אוֹת is uncertain (Helfmeyer, TDOT 1:167; Rengstorf, TDNT 7:209). Some (Keller, Das Wort, 149) associate it with the Akk. ittu (AHw 405f.; CAD 7:304ff.), which has a wide variety of meanings: “mark,” “characteristic,” “feature” (secular), “ominous sign” (religious). The Arab. ʾāyat means “a sign, token or mark by which a person is known” (Lane, 1:135). A nonbiblical instance of אוֹת is found in the Lachish Ostracon, IV, 10–12: “Let him also know that we are watching for the beacons of Lachish (interpreting them) in accordance with all the code-signals (h’tt) that my lord has given; but we do not see Azekah” (cf. Gibson, TSSI 1:42). Already in this latter secular context a basic characteristic of אוֹת is illustrated: it serves as a means of transmitting information. The content of this information is determined by the context in which it is used.

אָנַן (ʾānan), hitpo. complain (H645).

ANE    Arab. ʾanna, hanna, sigh, and Tigr. (“moo lugubriously [cow]”) use this root.

OT    This root (used 2x) describes unjustified complaining that is a resentful vocal reaction to a hardship or judgment sent by God (Num 11:1). This kind of negative talking is judged inappropriate if a person has sinned and deserves God’s punishment (Lam 3:39).

אָנַשׁ (ʾānaš), ni. be in poor health (hapleg., 2 Sam 12:15; H653); ‏אָנוּשׁ (ʾānûš), adj. incurable, calamitous (H631); the nom. אִשָּׁה (ʾiššâ), wife, woman is a derivative (H851).

OT    1. The vb. occurs only in 2 Sam 12:15, where David’s child with Bathsheba fell ill.
    2. The word ‏אָנוּשׁ‎ occurs 8x. It denotes a general state of affliction and modifies other noms. In Isa 17:11 Ephraim is rebuked for their self-reliance and for their blindness in not discerning God’s hand in their adversities, “yet the harvest will be as nothing in the day of disease (‏נַחֲלָה‎; H5710) and incurable (‏אָנוּשׁ‎) pain (‏כְּאֵב; H3873).”

• Like 1

It's a fair assessment. One reason I use both is NIDOTTE is a little more "evangelical" where as TDOT can be a little "non-evangelical" at times. That gives me a good balance.

• Like 1