Qumran Non-Biblical Manuscripts: A New English Translation Prod ID: QUMENG

Gedalya

I know that Accordance offers this module for sale but unfortunately Accordance does not include the vitally important introduction nor the brief smaller introductions to each of the texts in the module which are crucial to understanding the material.

A long time ago I asked Accordance to include this crucial material to the module and was told that it was a possibility.

Perhaps the new people in charge can look into this??

Thanks

• Like 10

+1. I have this book in print and those intros are really helpful. 

• Like 3

1+

• Like 2

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! We'll look into it.

• Like 3

Our module developers are looking to see if we have already have the files to this, and if so, we can add them into a module update. If we don't, our licensing team will reach out to the publisher and see what we need to do to get them.

• Like 7

We don't have the files to it. Our licensing manager will reach out to the publisher and look into how we can get these.

• Like 5

Thanks Nathan!  I hope that Accordance can update the module!

• Like 1

I think we're licensing the Qumran text from one publisher, and this content is from another one. That might "complicate" things, but we'll see what we can do.

• Like 2

Thanks Nathan for the quick reply.  Hope you can be successful!

Me too!

We were unable to secure the license to get this additional content unfortunately.

• Sad 4

Ugn. That is frustrating. I understand, sort of, the reluctance to sell digital rights. But it reminds me of the fight over Napster. Lars was right that the content creators need to be compensated. But the tide of digitalization is overwhelming and irreversible. 

Yes, this is frustrating. Is it because the Acc. module is not quite the same as the print version? I vaguely remember an Acc. employee stating at some point that the Acc. version has continued to add texts. If so, I would be open to having a secondary version identical to the print version just to have the introductions and other print matter outside of the texts themselves.

@Nathan Parker, would it be worth it for Acc. to do a little negotiating/finagling for this?

• Like 2

At the moment, it doesn't sound like they're offering it in general. We can't do any "finagling" for it, but I would say for those who are interested in it, reach out to the publisher and let them know. Sometimes publishers change their minds when they hear from customers interested in stuff.

40 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

At the moment, it doesn't sound like they're offering it in general. We can't do any "finagling" for it, but I would say for those who are interested in it, reach out to the publisher and let them know. Sometimes publishers change their minds when they hear from customers interested in stuff.

Can you provide the contact info; I think that many of us would contact them if we had the correct contact info. Since you have already gone through the exercise of finding out who to context, it would save the rest of the time and trouble of trying to identify the correct contact. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, miketisdell said:

Can you provide the contact info; I think that many of us would contact them if we had the correct contact info. Since you have already gone through the exercise of finding out who to context, it would save the rest of the time and trouble of trying to identify the correct contact. 

I second this. Thanks for the information!

• Like 1

While we can't release specific points of contact without their permission, the content is published by HarperOne.

• Like 2

Nathan,

Thanks for the effort and the prompt response.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:23 PM, Nathan Parker said:

While we can't release specific points of contact without their permission, the content is published by HarperOne.

I wonder what forum members would think of a letter to HarperOne signed by those on this forum who are interested in the version with the introductions. Would this be more efficient/effective than 1-2 of us who would actually take the time to write? I'd be interested to hear the reactions to this.

• Like 1