Accordance used on 2 computers

William Adkins

Hi all good afternoon, question I have accordance on a laptop, and I just got a new or smaller laptop to take to Seminary and was wondering if I log in on the new computer and download or sign into accordance with, I get all my stuff that I had on my laptop or what do I need to do?

I figured it out sorry to bother you all I signed in and I guess it's uploading everything that I've already purchased it knows it so thank you

Hi @William Adkins.

I am glad that worked. :) I might be mistaken, but I am pretty sure what it downloaded was all of the resources you have bought, which would exclude materials you have made (notes, highlights, tools, papers).

So if you use any of that, just check if it is there. If not, there are three ways I personally know of to move the data:

1) The most common way people seem to be using is a Dropbox sync. Personally, I would not do this since a few years ago I had horrible data loss from this method. It works for some people, but other people have also reported issues.

2) You can bring it over on a flash drive.

3) Since you are on a Mac, if the computers are relatively close, I have had success using AirDrop.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

Wow I will check and see and then do what you said to move info. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

The methods @Kristin mentioned should work. We're also going to rollout enhanced syncing in 14.1 that should reliably sync more of your content between machines.

• Like 4

Is accordance 14 good to go bug's fixed to down load and upgrade?

Hi @William Adkins,

I personally don't trust v.14. I know it is a lot better than it had been, but from what I understand, there are still bugs, and since I do intensive work I don't personally want to risk it.

That said, if you would like to download it, before you do anything, make sure you do a solid Time Machine backup of your computer. Then when you download v.14 and it asks if you want to write over v.13, I would say "no" and keep both copies, just in case.

Kristin

14.0.5 has been overall pretty solid for me. We will be releasing another bug fix update to 14 coming up, then 14.1 will be our first major update to 14. If you thoroughly backup, you can try 14, and you can revert back to 13 if you still find it buggy.

Since you have Accordance on two computers, one solution would be to keep 13 on one machine while you're trying 14 on the other one. Then if 14 runs well for you on one machine, upgrade the other machine to 14. That's one benefit of two machines. :-) 

16 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Nathan... 14.0.5 has been overall pretty solid for me.

I'm a pretty experienced user and since 14.0.5. I have had practically zero problems with this update.  It runs just as well as well as v.13 with the added bonus of all the 14 features.   There is a fairly insignificant bug on text display / references / colour, (but only when I first open the app and only on night mode).   I can't speak for everyone but the latest update (14.0.5) is running seamlessly for me.  

The only issues with v.14 that I experience during my normal workflow are the missing small toolbar icons, an inability to highlight User Tools, and a spinning beachball at random times. I still prefer it over v.13.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 5:33 PM, Nathan Parker said:

We're also going to rollout enhanced syncing in 14.1 that should reliably sync more of your content between machines.

Will this include library organization?!?!

For me, v14.0.5 has been pretty solid with the exception of Accordance crashing when I use live click and the hard to see toolbar in dark mode.  Just my 2 cents 😊.

Kristin, when transferring data from one computer to another on a flash drive, which files does one transfer? (Hope that makes sense.)

5 hours ago, Dave Marrandette said:

Kristin, when transferring data from one computer to another on a flash drive, which files does one transfer? (Hope that makes sense.)

There are 2 folders to consider, and it's slightly different for Mac and PC.

The following is from Accordance regarding which directories to backup. They should be the same ones for transferring between computers.

image.png.9f6747fd31226f544fe40ea2327231ac.png

• Like 2

Hi @Dave Marrandette,

I am sorry for not responding earlier, I am actually just now seeing your question. Anyway, I appreciated the screenshot @Lawrence provided, as I wasn't sure how to do it on Windows.

19 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Will this include library organization?!?!

I pray that it will!

• Like 4

@Dave Marrandette See this: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 6:33 PM, Nathan Parker said:

We're also going to rollout enhanced syncing in 14.1 that should reliably sync more of your content between machines.

Don't believe it. Prove it! 😜

@KevinPurcell Once we have. beta of 14.1, you'll be the first to get it. 

WordSearch used to have a simple and efficient system.

Problem is, that technology was tied to Internet Explorer and quickly became outdated. I ran into a similar situation with a couple of apps at my other job that we had to fix.