Can I Search Bible Chapter Headings Only?

Louis Lapides

Thanks to Accordance 14 we can use Live-Click on a verse and see the verse in as many translations as the user has set up in Accordance Settings. But what if I want to do a search to see the various headings in Romans 9 using Live-Click without having to open each Bible to see the chapter heading? Maybe I'm missing something obvious. But I can use some guidance as I am opening each text one by one using the verses listed in Live-Click to see the passage in context to see the heading.

I'm writing an article on Romans 9:1-5 & I need to see all the different ways various Bible translations describe these verses. 

Good question. I’ll see if someone can chime in on this. I haven’t done heading/pericope searches in Bibles yet.

• Like 1

Since you can select a title, it would seem one could use it in a search.

I sent you an email with some suggestions to try a user emailed me. Feel free to post some of them that work well for you.

Yes, the email you sent me helped a lot. I placed Romans 9:1 in the search bar. Then I selected the verse reference (Romans 9:1); control clicked on the verse reference and tapped on Research. Next, I selected Translator's Notes. Then all the chapter headings came up in the Search Results window based on what each translation committee deemed the chapter heading they wanted it to be. Thanks for your help @Nathan Parker

Edited by Louis Lapides

Hi @Louis Lapides,

Not sure if I did it correctly, but for some reason I get Korean language to show up on my translators notes.  Did you experience the same thing by chance?

Screenshot 2023-05-19 220018TN.png

@Misulejoha I've included two screenshots so you can see how I was able to see the headings for Romans 9. You can apply the same steps to anywhere in Scripture. I assume it's best to use the first verse in a chapter. I hope the screenshot helps you.

Of course, Misulejoha, the number of headings in the search results is based on what biblical texts you have in your library and which versions include the translator's notes. But you need to scroll through the biblical texts listed in your search results and find the ones that relate to your search query, or you can choose one text and then scroll through the pane on the right to see all the headings.

For example, in the second screenshot, I chose the New King James version and that is what you see in the right pane with ALL the other biblical versions as well. So it appears I don't need to select each Bible version one by one to see all the chapter headings. How cool is that! 

Glad to help you through this. Let me know if you need further information. We're all learning together.  

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 11.13.00 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 11.13.43 AM.png

Edited by Louis Lapides
  • Thanks 1

@Misulejoha Linda Perry shared with me another great way to see all the chapter headings at a glance. Choose the verse you want to see the chapter headings for. Place your cursor in the body of the text. Then you can cycle through all of your Bible versions by tapping the right arrow cursor key at the bottom of your keyboard. In the text pane, you will see that various Bible versions scroll by and you can observe the chapter headings as well. I used 1 John 4 as an example in the screenshot I included. Also, be sure to check in Preferences/Settings that you have "Show Book Titles" in the Settings for "Text Display" to make the appearance of the chapter titles work.  You would have to go to Advanced in the settings for Text Display to see that option.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 12.26.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 12.28.08 PM.png

• Thanks 1

@Misulejoha That's because you opened the Korean Translator notes, not the one for the New King James Version. 🙂 

@Louis Lapides Glad we got this resolved for you!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

@Misulejoha That's because you opened the Korean Translator notes, not the one for the New King James Version. 🙂 

@Louis Lapides Glad we got this resolved for you!

@Nathan Parker, I'm shaking my head that I didn't catch this.  For some reason I mistook the acronymn NKRV as NKJV 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for pointing this out.  I thought I removed the Korean notes from my library.

• Like 1

Glad to assist!