User notes

eshane7

I have been trying to organize my notes. So I started merging my notes into one file (I had several).  I successfully merged several files without a problem. However, there are two that are being stubborn. I get this error when I try to merge the note files.

These User Notes cannot be merged, because their references are not in the same corpus.

I have no idea what that means, or how to fix it. Any ideas on how to get that fixed. I did find an old post that mentioned upgrading the files, but it didn't explain how to do that either.  So any help with this would be greatly appreciated!  I'm using Accordance 14.0.5 on Mac, and iOS.

Hi @eshane7

Before I say anything else, be sure to always back up your work before you do things like merging. I am really glad it went well (I have also merged notes without a problem), but just be careful.

That said, the warning of it not being all from "the same corpus" is referring to the document which contain the Notes. For example, Accordance sees the entire Bible as one "corpus," but then the Church Father stuff is considered to be a different corpus. So think of books which you can buy in Accordance as individual groups which need their own notes.

There are two points I would like to further mention:

1) I have personally had massive unrecoverable note corruption with the Fathers books, and given the warning box you got (which I have never seen before) I think the corruption might be because I had been mixing and matching the corpora.

2) The Bible itself is kind of unclear. On one hand the Hebrew and Greek are two different corpora. However, I have personally always considered it to be one corpus since the "Bible" is sold as a unit. I have personally have had major note corruption which has been attributed to the sheer size of my notes, but given your warning box, I wonder if the true reason that myself and others have had note corruption is because of mixing corpora. For example, I know I have notes in the same note file from the ESV, JPS, Hebrew, and Greek, which are ALL different corpora. 

So in summary, be careful about merging notes, and I will tag @Tech Support to look at my 2nd point to see if that is diagnostically helpful for them. Maybe all of us who have had note corruption have notes in different Bible versions.

Take care,
Kristin

So I believe all my notes that I'm trying to merge (consolidate) are linked to the same Bible (KJV) however, it is possible that I have notes from other Bibles. I do have three different language notes (English, Spanish and Italian) however, I have kept them all separate so as not to get confused myself. I make Spanish notes in my Spanish note set, Italian in the Italian note set, and English in it's own set. I did have multiple English notes all tied to the same Bible version. So I don't think that should be an issue. I'm quite perplexed, and did notice issues with my notes on my iPad when accessing and writing them. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. Thank you for your input and help!

Shane

• Like 1

I’d recommend emailing or calling Tech Support on this one. Tech Support is swamped at the moment and may not be actively monitoring the forums. Let us know how it goes!

Hi @Nathan Parker,

If Tech Support is not on the forums right now, can you let them know my thought in my point 2? I understand they are swamped, but I hope that part of what they are so busy with is resolving the corruption issues, and this note corruption issue has been going on for years. So I think it might be diagnostically helpful for them to know this.

Thanks,

Kristin

I’ll run Point 2 across my manager. By the way, Tech Support doesn’t “resolve" corruption issues. They’re not the same department as our Programming department. Tech Support's job is to attempt to resolve individual technical support issues that come in to the best that they’re able to (and they are pretty excellent, I’ve had fantastic results with them for years before I ever came to work for Accordance). Any issues they can’t directly resolve that they discover are bugs they file directly with our Programming team so the programmers can work to resolve them (then our Programmers resolve those issues in app updates). I do copy Tech Support on all Bug Reports I file so that Tech Support is aware of any known issues. That way they’re not spending time trying to figure out issues we already know about. I’m also working with Tech Support to see if I can streamline or take anything off their plate that would make processing customer support requests easier since in my other job, Tech Support is what I’ve been doing for years.

So I was able to manually just copy and paste the data from one note set, there weren't very many notes in there.  However, I did notice what I think the problem is. Some of the Scripture references were more than one verse.  So for example they read, Gen 41:51-52. Could that be causing the problem? Generally notes are only for one verse and not a range? Is that true?

Shane

On 5/17/2023 at 5:02 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Tech Support doesn’t “resolve" corruption issues. They’re not the same department as our Programming department.

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Just to be clear, I understand that programmers and tech support are two different departments. My comment had meant to say that I had sent the note files already to Accordance. If Silas had them in his department, I figured they could be forwarded internally. If in reality the departments are basically isolated and don't communicate internally, I can forward you what I had previously sent to Accordance. Please let me know.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:02 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Tech Support is what I’ve been doing for years

p.s. - This is unrelated to the above, but I am just truly curious. I thought your background and experience is Theology and Weather. What Tech Support have you been doing for years?

Kristin

Thanks for the followup! Silas could probably send them to me, but he’s knee-deep in work at the moment. That’s why I directly asked you for them. We do communicate regularly internally (we’re not isolated at all), but there are times when I try to reduce or consolidate communications so they can concentrate on work. I know it’s hard to get knee-deep in coding when your phone is blowing up with messages. 🙂 

For my other job, it’s a weather job, but I’m a Support and Training consultant for them. I handle tech support for troubleshooting offline weather stations to get them back online and sending data to us. I’ve been doing that for years. I also handle training for them (writing manuals, webinars, screencasts, etc.), similar to what I do for Accordance. Now that the weather company has worked for has merged with about five other companies, I’ll be doing some cross-company tech support work for them as well. So I could take on some additional Tech Support for Accordance. 🙂 

• Like 1