Smart Info Pane

cliff

Developers should take a look at BestCommentaries.com and note the ranking system.  I would like a custom ranking of commentary and other sources in the info pain that could be synced either automatically with BestCommentaries.com website or customized by me through either a lookup table, CSV file, or config file that would organize the library that is seen in the info pane by Book of the Bible. You could contextualize this across English, Greek and Hebrew resources.  BestCommentaries also has a page with top recommended libraries from Piper and other's It would be nice to be able to download a profile or share with others their library setup.  If a user doesn't have particular resources, omit that from the ranking.  

Edited by cliff

Hi @cliff,

I am not entirely sure if I am understanding correctly, and this does not address your second point, but as far as the resources in the info pane, those are currently customizable. If you open the Library tab on the top left, you can drag and drop the resources to be higher or lower than another resource. Then, however the resources are listed in the Library, they will show in that order in the info pane.

I hope this helps some,
Kristin

@Kristin is correct that you can organize commentaries however you wish in Info Pane. Is there something else we would need to add here that you cannot already do through the customization?

@Nathan Parker I'm aware how the info pane prioritizes the resources based on how you organize your Library.  What I'm suggesting would be the equivalent of taking your favorite individual commentary and sequencing in ranked order for Genesis through Revelation.  Then as you work through scripture, you have your preferred corresponding commentary based on volume instead of set.  if you had a look up table, you could have books of the Bible listed in one column, 3 additional columns that establish your preferred ranked order (1, 2, 3), and in each column you list NAC, Pillar, etc for Genesis as an example.  Info pain then would reference the look-up table and show the preferred source as you set it up.  These library profiles could then be setup and shared across users and would provide further means of customizing your library.  

Edited by cliff

Cliff, there are many ranking systems available, as well as personal preference ranking. Your favorite ranking aggregator may not match my preferred aggregator. Which one of many aggregators should the developers use? Should all known ranking aggregators be available as a choice setting? As aggregators change rankings, there would have to be a synchronous data exchange between aggregator and Accordance . While an interesting idea, I would prefer energy and resources used elsewhere. 

—Joseph the curmudgeon ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll put it on the list for us to consider. Due to the complexity it would likely take to implement such a feature, plus due to the way many of our commentary modules are structured as a single module instead of broken up into each biblical book, I’m not 100% sure on this one. However, we’ll at least consider it.

33 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll put it on the list for us to consider. Due to the complexity it would likely take to implement such a feature, plus due to the way many of our commentary modules are structured as a single module instead of broken up into each biblical book, I’m not 100% sure on this one. However, we’ll at least consider it.

@Nathan ParkerThe way they are structured was the first thing that came to my mind, they would have to go back and retag each book individually in each set...that's a lot of work best spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

The payoff likely wouldn’t be worth that form of time investment. We’ll chat about this sometime and see if I’m overlooking a simpler solution, but at the moment, it doesn’t sound promising.

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

The payoff likely wouldn’t be worth that form of time investment. We’ll chat about this sometime and see if I’m overlooking a simpler solution, but at the moment, it doesn’t sound promising.

The other big issue is there are to many variables, denomination preference, theological view, commentary preference, devotional, expositional, exegetical...etc.