Back/Forward buttons and Tabs names

Paul Bucur

Using Accordance for presentations I noticed that I would need two features, which I can't find, or haven't been implemented. If they were not implemented, this post is a humble request for them.

1. Back/forward buttons to be used in tabs when navigating to multiple locations (as a history that is accessed by these two buttons). For example: I open a tab with a Bible version and go to multiple books of the Bible in the same tab. I would like to be able to go forward/backward using the buttons. If the feature is not implemented and will be implemented, the buttons can be hidden by default and enabled from the Customize Toolbar. If it is implemented, please someone help me find it. Sometimes this feature will same me time instead open and close multiple tabs.

2. Tab names in which the Bible is open to display the name of the open Bible book and chapter. Either by default or as an option in settings. Right now I have only managed to find the option to rename the tab. Again, in case the function doesn't exist I suggest creating it, and in case it exists I ask someone to help me with activating it. The reason for this request is that in case a user has more Bible books/chapter opened in tabs, he can see all of them without manually changing the name of the tabs.

I’ll have other users chime in on if there’s a way to pull these off. If there are not, I’ll move this to Feature Requests and file a feature request report for them.

Paul, I use two features that address your query.

1. Back and forth navigation and Verse Ref for Texts:  On a text pane, navigation is found using arrows beside  the reference  window at the lower right of the text pane. This will also give you what verse is being displayed first in the text pane.

2.Search history for tool tabs: Click on the disclosure triangle to the right of the magnifying glass icon

Hoping this helps you,

—Joseph  

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 3.22.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 3.24.07 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you Joseph for the suggestions! I can use them to some extent, but I would like the functions to be user-friendly and not time-consuming. Obviously, I relate to my needs.

To switch to the previous or next location, I prefer the button in the toolbars just like a web browser. As the function is already implemented in Accordace, there should only be the possibility to add the buttons in the toolbar for those who want it (using Customize Toolbar option). I can use your suggestion, the only problem is that the buttons are located in a harder-to-reach place and are small. 

The second suggestion can be used also, in some cases. The problem is that I use the Show Table of Contents button to open the Bible books and that doesn't get saved in the history. 

I really appreciate your intervention. 

Blessings!

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

I’ll have other users chime in on if there’s a way to pull these off. If there are not, I’ll move this to Feature Requests and file a feature request report for them.

Thank you for your reply. I got a solution for the first question. It is not what I want, but it can be used. I prefer however to be able to add the buttons Joseph told me about in the Toolbar also, just like a web browser. They are bigger, easy to access, and placed where you would look after them.

The function to go back and forth is implemented in the program so the only thing that must be done is the possibility to add these buttons in the Toolbar. 

Thanks! Let me know if I still need to file a feature request on anything.

4 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! Let me know if I still need to file a feature request on anything.

Yes, I would like you to file the following requests:

1) The buttons ”Move to prior location” and ”Move to next location” to be added in the Toolbar using the Customize Toolbar option. 

2) The names of the Tabs in which a Bible version is opened to display the title of the book and the chapter instead of the name of the Bible. For example ESV with Strong's to be ESV_S Genesis 1.

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Paul Bucur said:

1) The buttons ”Move to prior location” and ”Move to next location” to be added in the Toolbar using the Customize Toolbar option. 

The obvious problem here for many will be the fact that the Toolbar already has so many options that space is at a premium. The current design is well thought out and fits the workflow of many of us.

I’ll add it to the list for us to consider. Since there seems to be a workaround in place, I’m not sure about this one, but we can at least consider it.

6 hours ago, Lester P. Bagley said:

The obvious problem here for many will be the fact that the Toolbar already has so many options that space is at a premium. The current design is well thought out and fits the workflow of many of us.

I'm aware that not everyone sees its usefulness or needs it. But Toolbar is customizabale and everyone can set it to their preferences. Nobody will be affected by this, and the software is improved.

As a mobile app developer I get requests for some features from some users while others don't want them. But everyone uses the app differently and as far as possible the more the app gives everyone what they need the better it is.

6 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I’ll add it to the list for us to consider. Since there seems to be a workaround in place, I’m not sure about this one, but we can at least consider it.

OK. Please take into consideration when you decide about that if this requests improve or not the usability of the software and if they are more user-friendly than that workaroud that may be used now. 

Blessings to you and all the team!

We’ll take it into consideration. Thanks for suggesting it!

On 5/15/2023 at 11:21 PM, Paul Bucur said:

2) The names of the Tabs in which a Bible version is opened to display the title of the book and the chapter instead of the name of the Bible. For example ESV with Strong's to be ESV_S Genesis 1.

Thank you!

I'm not sure but it sounds like your request runs along the same lines as one that has been made in the past, such as here:

This is still a problem and I would love to see some improvement.