French tagging

Luke Bert

I am a seminary professor in Quebec Canada. Starting this fall, I will be teaching a dedicated biblical language and exegesis curriculum. I have already been teaching Greek and Hebrew in Quebec for 4 years. Students have found accordance to be a great resource. I have loved accordance and used it since my time in seminary. I continue to use it in all my teaching and research. However, Accordance lacks some key features in French. For example, Logos has dedicated packages that bundle their French resources. But the most vital resources for my students would be tagging of the French Bibles already available in Accordance (NEG79 and Louis Segond). I will be giving a seminar on using accordance for French-speakers in august and I would love to be able to tell them that more French features are coming to Accodance. 

In summary, I have two requests 
1. The tagging of the NEG79 and Louis Segond (this is my priority) 

2. A French language bundle (with some additional French Bible translations). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luke Bert said:

I am a seminary professor in Quebec Canada. Starting this fall, I will be teaching a dedicated biblical language and exegesis curriculum. I have already been teaching Greek and Hebrew in Quebec for 4 years. Students have found accordance to be a great resource. I have loved accordance and used it since my time in seminary. I continue to use it in all my teaching and research. However, Accordance lacks some key features in French. For example, Logos has dedicated packages that bundle their French resources. But the most vital resources for my students would be tagging of the French Bibles already available in Accordance (NEG79 and Louis Segond). I will be giving a seminar on using accordance for French-speakers in august and I would love to be able to tell them that more French features are coming to Accodance. 

In summary, I have two requests 
1. The tagging of the NEG79 and Louis Segond (this is my priority) 

2. A French language bundle (with some additional French Bible translations). 

Hi Bert,

The Nouvelle Français courant has been in preparation for release with Accordance for some time. That should also be coming with the Dictionnaire grec-français du Nouveau Testament (reworked translation of Prigent, etc.). @Nathan Parker has said he was going to get some more specific information on these. Perhaps he could weigh in here?

Yes, it would also be nice if the NEG79 and/or LS could be tagged. Multiple requests have also been made for the TOB, as here:

The more requests there are, the higher the priority will be!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Donald Cobb said:

Hi Bert,

The Nouvelle Français courant has been in preparation for release with Accordance for some time. That should also be coming with the Dictionnaire grec-français du Nouveau Testament (reworked translation of Prigent, etc.). @Nathan Parker has said he was going to get some more specific information on these. Perhaps he could weigh in here?

Yes, it would also be nice if the NEG79 and/or LS could be tagged. Multiple requests have also been made for the TOB, as here:

The more requests there are, the higher the priority will be!

This would all be great. I would love to see the TOB in accordance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the followup. I’ll ask my manager again. He’s been away at the Beale conference but should be back today. 

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks for the followup. I’ll ask my manager again. He’s been away at the Beale conference but should be back today. 

Thanks Nathan. Any news on this will be appreciated. Having these two resources available will be even more so! 😀

He’s still on the road, but we’re having a meeting tomorrow. I’ll see if I can get some news.

15 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

He’s still on the road, but we’re having a meeting tomorrow. I’ll see if I can get some news.

Thanks for getting back to us on this when you find something out. 

I found out from my manager today on foreign language Bibles. The module developer working on these is involved in school at the moment, so he’s had to take some time off from module development. We’re looking for someone who could step in and finish up module development on various foreign language Bible requests.

What would be  required for such a person? Does it require a significant of computer science knowledge?

Send me an email to nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com (replace bracketed text with punctuation), and I’ll have you chat with my manager about it.

As a professor of biblical languages in Quebec, I want to add my support for this feature request. The French-speaking population is generally underserved when it comes to biblical and theological ressources and it would be great to be able to offer them more through Accordance.

On a related note, I saw the other day that Logos now offers in app translation of modules using Google Translate. I am very curious about the results one may attain with this approach using existing English modules (e.g. textbooks). If the translation isn't reliable it could produce some frustrating results, but what if it could produce sufficiently reliable translations?

Check today’s sale page as well for some new French announcements. I’m moving this to module requests since these pertain to modules instead of features.

Thanks to all at Accordance for making these resources available. I've already purchased them! The wait was worth it!

Glad we got them out the door!

• 3 months later...

The French versions available for Accordance (as far as I can find), are all Louis Segond or revisions thereof, except for Français Courant. Is there any chance of other non-Louis Segond versions becoming available for Accordance? I'd like to have Darby, Semeur, Parole de Vie, Ostervald, and Traduction Oecumenique. It's useful to compare them in my Bible translation work. I still have most of them in Bibleworks, but it would be nice if they were available in Accordance too. I love Bibleworks (it is still a far better and more user-friendly program than Accordance has ever been, IMO) but as it's no longer in business I don't know how long it is going to continue to work for me. So I need to make sure I have what I need in Accordance.

Edited by Ronelh
typo
  • Like 1

I can put in module requests for those. Do you have additional info on those? I can't make any specific ETA promises, but I can at least log the requests.