Please find a better way to address "missing" verses when texts are in parallel panes

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

When a particular translation does not include a verse (typically because it has been deemed to not be original to the text but a later addition), if that translation is the "text order" translation for the tab, than none of the translations will show that verse, even if they include it.

I understand why this is, but it creates a lot of confusion.  Especially when there are cases where the missing verse doesn't involve an early manuscripts discrepancy.

Just the other day, I spent about 15-20 minutes trying to figure out why Romans 1:3 appeared to be missing in so many translations, but there were no notes about manuscript differences in any of my "apparatus" modules (I have Metzer, both Comforts, Omanson, etc.). I finally realized it was because the "text order" translation was the CEB, which combines verses 2 & 3.  Oddly enough, the CEB appears to skip verse 2, as the combined verses 2&3 are marked as verse 3, and 2 is missing, but when I put other translations in parallel panes, they display verse 2 and 3 is missing.

Interestingly, if I set the "text order" drop-down to a different translation, a "---" appears between verses 3 & 4 in the CEB, parallel to verse 3 in the other translation.  So I can see what the CEB "omits."  Why isn't there a way to see what the other translations "add" if the CEB is the "text order" drop down is set for it?

And yes, I know it's been this way for a long time, but it is very confusing.  

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll add it to my feature requests list.