Understanding the Bible

Dr. Nathan Parker

I already have the publisher info to this. I haven’t added it to my own list yet since I want to see if any other Accordance users would be interested in it:

https://www.swordsearcher.com/third-party/understanding-the-bible-commentary.html

I have this in SwordSearcher and use it often when I’m on my Windows PC. It’d be a nice commentary addition to Accordance.

I don't want to start a discussion on this but I would much rather see something like, e.g., the new Tyndale commentary series that has been requested multiple times. For me, I've never been drawn to expansive commentaries—especially on the whole Bible—by one person and that are overtly very theologically oriented, as this one announces itself as being. That includes commentaries from my own theological tradition, BTW. I'm always wary that they fall too easily into shallow explanations that have more to do with justifying their own positions than wrestling with the text, even when it goes against their tendencies or expectations.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Donald Cobb said:

I would much rather see something like, e.g., the new Tyndale commentary series that has been requested multiple times. For me, I've never been drawn to expansive commentaries—especially on the whole Bible—by one person

This is a great summary on where i also stand (though i would have used the jewish annotated apocrypha as my example of a multiple request). Thanks, but this set isnt for me.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Wagner said:

Don’t we have a set with this name already? 

There is a set from baker publishing group, a set from carta and a single volume by john stott but these are not the same as the volumes linked in swordsearcher at the beginning of this thread and i couldnt find any other resources in accordance by the author, Dr. David Sorenson either.  

Edited by ukfraser

Thanks for the feedback! We are working with the publisher of Tyndale Commentaries to get access to the set updates. I’ll hold off adding this particular one to my list at the moment.

• Like 1