What does a superscript numeral after a verse number mean?

Steven S

In the LXX Rahlfs Apparatus module, I occasionally see a superscript numeral after a verse number. For example, the highlighted text in the entry for Ps. 39:7 LXX [40:6 MT] below:

lxx-rahlfs-apparatus-ps-39-7.png.56b55b4b523fda0006f32f97ee1fddf6.png

Hovering over the superscript simply displays the corresponding verse in Instant Details (in the above case, Ps. 39:7 LXX [40:6 MT]). I went through the apparatus introduction, but didn't see any mention of this type of superscript (it also doesn't help that my Latin is basically nonexistent :)).

Could someone please explain what such a notation means?

My best guess is that the superscript numeral refers to a specific line in the corresponding verse (in which hard line breaks may appear, as in the case of poetry) in order to distinguish the proceeding text as a separate entry from the preceding text (in my case, to distinguish the entry for Ps. 39:7c from that of Ps. 39:7b).

* Sorry for the error in my OP: "40:6 MT" above should be "40:7 MT" (or "40:6 EVV").

Hi, Steven,

if I am not wrong, it refers to the line of the verse.

In your example the verse is divided into 3 lines and the place indicated in the apparatus is referring to the third line of the verse.

Roman

• Thanks 1