Does anybody know how I can search for nouns with particular nouns ending in acute accented omega? *ώ

Enoch

There is a peculiar & small group of 3rd declension nouns ending in nom singular ώ (perhaps all feminine). One is a word for sound, cf. echo.

Job 4:13  φόβοι δὲ καὶ ἠχὼ νυκτερινή, ἐπιπίπτων φόβος ἐπ̓ ἀνθρώπους.  These nouns may be all feminine, & I think that this omega ending may be used a lot for goddesses or nymphs in classical Greek; I think that Peithō & Ēchō were Greek goddesses.

BDAG has "πειθώ, οῦς, ἡ the gift or art of persuasion, persuasiveness (cp. πειθός; Aeschyl., Thu. et al.; Ps.-Phoc. 78; Philo; Jos., Bell. 2, 8, C. Ap. 2, 186; 223; Just., A I, 53, 12, D. 53, 6; Jos.) ἐν πειθοῖ ἀνθρωπίνης σοφίας λόγοις (. . . ) with the persuasiveness of wisdom 1 Cor 2:4 v.l.

I am not sure if any indisputable occurrences of this class of noun occur in the NT.  So I tried to search for it, but found only frustration, as I could not find a way to make Accordance search for only words that end in omega with an acute or grave accent on the end the words. That is, I wanted to search like *ώ and get only words which ended in ώ. But I found no way to limit the search to only words that ended with omega having an accute or grave accent on them.  I tried various ways like with = or quotes, or combinations of these or with command-J.  But nothing worked.  As I recall, a search for *ώ gives you every single verb which has a lexeme ending in omega! I guess I should try (as I think of it) a search limited to nouns. I don't know if Accordance will let you search for 3rd declension nouns only.

Is such a search possible with Accordance?

Edited by Enoch

I didn't try doing a search with the accent, but this did turn up some results in the LXX, including Jb 4:13: *ω@ [NOUN feminine common]

Nothing in the NT, though.

BTW, this also works, and gives the same results: *ώ@ [NOUN feminine common]

Edited by Donald Cobb

6 hours ago, Enoch said:

I could not find a way to make Accordance search for only words that end in omega with an acute or grave accent on the end the words.

I may be oversimplifying what you're trying to accomplish, but does the following search expression work for you?

"=*ώ" @[NOUN] <OR> "=*ὼ" @[NOUN]

It produced 12 hits in NA28 (all proper names), and 10 hits in Rahlfs LXX (two of which were ἠχώ).

You are looking for lexeme forms, so you can specify using: "*ω"@[noun nominative singular]

You could further add feminine: "*ω"@[noun nominative feminine singular]

I get a few names and 2 nouns: ἠχώ and λεχὼ

I'm wondering if Accordance can't search correctly for accents since it is not using preformed Unicode characters.

(I.e., for ἠχώ, the final omega is an omega (O3C9) to which the acute accent (0301) has been added rather than the precomposed (omega w/ acute) 03CE.)

The benefit of precomposed characters is that they will display and print more accurately with the diacritical marks properly placed.

The benefit of combined characters is that we can do a search and not have to worry about getting the accents and breathing marks right.

• Like 1

Thanks so much gentlemen. I tried your suggestions. I had a lot of trouble with getting them to work. The one with <OR> never worked. But doing them separately eventually gave me some results, though I had to try several times.  I kept getting the search string changed by the program, leaving off part of the last part, including the [NOUN] specifier, which I had to re-enter after failure; I got the word list box a number of times, as if I were searching for a word not in the text of Ralphs, & I got the tag menu box which kept coming up, as if demanding that I add more tags (gender, number, etc.).  I added one, with no useful result, but malfunction.  Then I added 2 of the 5 specifiers & it worked; that kind of thing.  It was a can of worms.  BTW, the reason for searching with the accent is that North & Hilliard's Greek composition text says that this class of noun is oxytone, that is, has an acute accent on the omega, & I for sure didn't want a bunch of hits on verbs that end in omega!  The word λεχὼ is interesting as a word specialized to mean something like a woman in process of giving birth, which I understand in some form still exists in modern Greek. 

• Like 1