Sync with Dropbox unsupported browser

Larry Wing

I have installed 14.0.4 on MacBook with Ventura.  In the past I've been able to sync with Dropbox under 13 but now I need to re-link but when I click on Link to Dropbox account in Settings I get an error "Upgrade your browser to use Dropbox".  I've tried with Safari and Vivaldi but no success.

Known issue or did I mess something up again?

I haven’t seen this one before. I’d reach out to Tech Support and see what’s going on.

I'm able to duplicate the error by bringing up a browser tab in Accordance 13 on MacBook Pro Monterey.  As well as 14 and 13 on MacBook Pro Ventura.

Here's my steps

1. Help -> Support Links

2. In the opened "Support is Excellent" tab, erase the URL and replace with dropbox.com

3. Press Enter and you should see the same thing I see when trying to set up Dropbox link on my secondary Mac.

I can log in direct to Dropbox.com from Safari, Vivaldi, Firefox , and Brave on my Ventura computer (secondary) but can't within Accordance. I haven't tried unlinking on my primary computer.

Additional info edit. I successfully linked Dropbox on a Windows 10 (under VMBox) on a Linux computer. I also don't get the same "Upgrade..." message within Accordance. Maybe just a Mac issue?

Edited by Larry Wing

You need to be using the “Link to Dropbox” button under Preferences to link to Dropbox, not going to Dropbox.com in Accordance’s built-in browser. That’s how you bring up the necessary prompt to setup Dropbox syncing. The built-in web browser probably doesn’t support Dropbox.com, but the “Link to Dropbox” button in Accordance Preferences works for me on my Mac.

I know I need to set up via the Preferences/Settings in Accordance and that's were I first had the "update browser" message.  I was trying to determine if the message came because of my actual browser or the built in browser in Acc. It appear to me that it's the build in browser on Mac since I had no problems setting up on Windows A 14 on VirtualBox.  I hope that makes sense.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I’m not getting that error when I try it, so I’d recommend asking Tech Support about this one.

Thanks. I contacted Tech Support and will wait for their reply.  I'll post solution (assuming it's simple) in case anyone else ever has similar problem.

Sounds good. Keep us posted! I just linked both of my copies of Accordance 14.0.4 to Dropbox successfully, so not sure what’s causing this one.

I heard back from tech support and as of now still no resolution. When I said I had 13 and 14 installed they told me I should pick just one as it will cause all kinds of problems so I deleted 13 and am staying with 14.

They also said I need to have Full Disk Access enabled, which I did and that they hadn't seen this before. Apparently after some additional testing and my sending the steps to reproduce they have seen what I'm seeing on Ventura. They're going to work on it some more to try to solve it but may be a couple days before I hear back.

Now, at least, I believe it's not something with my computer but obviously isn't a regular issue so everyone is on new ground.

I'll update this after resolution.

Thanks for the update! They’ll look into it for sure and keep you posted. Our support guys are fantastic.

I heard back from Tech Support today and they've confirmed it's a bug that only shows up in Ventura. They don't say if it applies to v13 too since I was asking about 14. I doubt 13 though because I did have it syncing a couple months ago in 13. The bug fix is on the list for future update but no timeline.

Same exact problems with Acc14 on a new install on MacBook Pro, verses my Acc13 install on my iMac. I get the internal Acc browser error when I try to link to Dropbox in the settings. Tech supports solution was to let me know that OakTree is coming out with their own syncing website to replace Dropbox. Also they said some users were using iCloud for their Acc desktop syncing. But I also have my iOS and iOS iPad syncing with Dropbox.

I tried to just have my Acc Files folder on Dropbox, but my Acc14 install seems to have corrupted My Notes file, as the content is gone, and Acc13 and Acc14 both give a crash dialogue box upon quitting the app each time.

I'm an Accordance user since the 1990's.....I'm starting to get to a little concerned about development, especially in light of the current syncing solutions that other MacOS and iOS companies are implementing, e.g. their own server cloud based systems. Worried that we are getting slowed down by dependence on the past and just dabbling with what's current. Praying there are good development staff on board.

Strange, as I’m on Ventura, and it worked for me. Guess I was lucky. 🙂 

Good to know it’s a bug. We’ll get it resolved.

Our programmers have been hard at work on the syncing replacement for Dropbox. 14.0.5 will put us one great step closer to it. Once we’re on our own enhanced syncing platform, we won’t have to rely on Dropbox.

@Nathan Parker was it already set up before updating to Ventura? In my case I was trying to set up from scratch after messing with my Preferences, etc.

Tech Support did say I was the first to report so who knows. Maybe Apple doesn't like my theology. 😀

I did it in the past couple of weeks, and I’ve had Ventura on my system since last year. I can’t remember if I installed Accordance 14 before or after Ventura. I thought I had started beta testing on Monterey then went Ventura.

Maybe Apple has it in for you. 🙂 There's times when wacky stuff happens with my Apple devices that are so off the wall, I wonder sometimes...

Confirmed this will be resolved in 14.0.5.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with our programmers today, and enhanced syncing is the next major feature we’ll be working on after we resolve a handful of issues reported in 14.0.5. We’ll likely rollout enhanced syncing in a “14.1” update since it’s a feature addition (we may have another bug fix update or two before a 14.1 update). We don’t have a specific ETA on it at the moment, but it’s possible we’ll at least have a beta version of it during the summer.