Needs Accordance files location

Larry Wing

I don't know what I did but I hope someone can help me.

I installed Accordance 14 on a MacBook Pro M1 recently. I already had 13 on it and had used without any problems. Today I wanted to look something up and started 14 but got a pop up asking for location of Accordance Files. I can't navigate to the Library folder.  

I then discovered I still had 13 installed so I tried that version but got the same message. I've verified I still have Accordance folder in my Library so I don't know why both won't work now.

Can anyone tell me what I may have done to cause this and how to fix?

By the way, in both I'm stuck in a loop of the pop up asking for location and have to force quit.

Here is a thread related to this

Another Thread as well

Thank you @Erhard.  I did search forums but obviously not good enough.

I found that the Accordance Files in Documents did not exist. I had "backed up" that folder to Downloads but what I actually did was move to Downloads. When I moved to Documents all is good. I had also assumed that the folder it was looking for was in the Library.

Edited by Larry Wing

Larry, are you using Mac or Windows?

Its my understanding that having 13 and 14 on your computer should not be a major issues, as long as the programs have different names... ie. Accordance & Accordance 1.

Generally on a Mac the files folder is stored in your ~user/Library/Application Support/Accordance.

I'm on a Mac and wanted this computer (it's not my main computer) to have only 14 on it. I know I could have both on it and did for awhile but both gave me the same error. Once I figured out that my Accordance Files (Preferences) folder was not in Documents and moved 13 to trash, moved the Accordance Files folder to Documents, and started 14 without any problems.

I do see the folder under the Library but apparently Accordance doesn't start up with that folder?

Sorry Larry, just for clarification are you saying that v.14 works but you can't start 13 from your preference folder in documents?  Do you still have the 13 preference folder on your bin. If so can you drag it somewhere back onto your drive.  Do you have a backup of you 13 preference folder? 

I had at one time moved by accident my preference folder from documents to my downloads folder. I deleted 13 and only want to run 14 on this computer. When I installed 14 the first time when I had 13 I assumed it would overwrite 13 but it created an accordance 14 named app so I had both. 

I ended up deleting both and then moved the preferences back to documents and installed 14 and now all is good. 

Everything would have been fine if I hadn’t accidentally moved preferences folder to downloads. 

• Like 1

Accordance Files is a folder that normally stays in your Documents. It’s separate from the Accordance and Accordance Preferences folders in your Library. The Accordance Files folder stores some of your user files (User Tools, User Notes, etc). 

If you accidentally move it to another folder, it’s supposed to prompt to ask you where you moved it to and allow you to access the folder. It did that for me when I tested it on both my PC and Mac.

I just noticed that in Documents I have Accordance Preferences that I'd moved from Downloads. Under that is Accordance Files. Thinking I messed up again I moved the Accordance Files to under Documents and deleted the Preferences folder. When I do that Accordance asks for location but when I navigate and select Accordance Files folder it isn't recognized and keeps asking for the "Accordance Files".

I moved Files to under Preferences in Documents and now it starts fine.

Have I messed up again? Should I delete all and reinstall from scratch?

MacBook Ventura 13.3.1

Not 100% sure. You might want to contact Tech Support to double check on that one.

• 1 month later...

I just got my powerbook back from Apple repair. Long story short is that I need to set everything back up. I installed Accordance and it made a folder in my Documents file. but I have my previous stuff in a dropbox folder. How can I point Accordance to the folder in my Dropbox space instead of in my local directory? Appreciate any help. 

I want to change the path from 

/Users/sas/Documents/Accordance Files

to: 

/Users/sas/Dropbox/Accordance Files

If you move the “Accordance Files” folder out of your Documents and put it anywhere, next time you launch Accordance, it’ll ask you where you need to point your “Accordance Files” folder. You can then point it to the Dropbox location.