Web App?

Curtis Greenwood

As far as I recall, the release of Accordance14 was supposed to bring with it the ability to use it online. Is the web app still in the works and will it be done this year? Or is that just a false hope?

• Like 1

We’re still working on the web app. Hoping to see a release this year. Accordance 14 Desktop has taken priority. We may get some form of status report on it coming up.

• Like 2

@Nathan Parker,

When it eventually comes out, how does it work with syncing? I like the idea of the web version as an option traveling, but I don't like syncing since I have had bad experiences as well as privacy concerns. So I am spooked to even log-in to the web version as I am concerned it will start syncing highlights and notes and such.

Will syncing be something I can prevent in settings? I assume my texts and books would still show as they would not need to be synced.

Thanks for any clarity you are able to provide.

Kristin

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kristin said:

When it eventually comes out, how does it work with syncing?

I don’t have all of the details on syncing with Accordance Cloud at the moment (as we get closer to a beta, I hope to have more details), but I would guess that we’ll make our entire enhanced syncing option optional. We’ll have more details to share closer to the time we rollout enhanced syncing and Accordance Cloud, so stay tuned for the moment.

• Like 1

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Please be sure to let the development team know that optional syncing is important for several of us.
Thanks,
Kristin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Please be sure to let the development team know that optional syncing is important for several of us.
Thanks,
Kristin

Yes, please. This was the main feature I was looking forward to in Acc. 14.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 2

I'm looking forward to it, though I understand the need to prioritise.

In terms of syncing, I like working across multiple devices: PC for heavy-lifting, phone for quick checks, tablet for presenting, laptop on the go, etc.

Since Accordance is already based around workspaces, it would be nice to have the option to have:

1. Personal workspaces across all my devices - updates on any device should be reflected on every device. This includes notes, where I'm up to in reading, as well as which resources are open in the workspace. I should be able to create multiple workspaces and switch among them easily. Use case: When exegeting a passage, open UBS5 + NIV + BDAG + 3 commentaries. Save this as "Ephesians 1 workspace" at home, and pull up the same workspace to continue work on my office PC, and likewise on my tablet when taking a walk to the park to think further on some particular point. Notes and tools in Personal workspaces would be replicated across all my devices.

2. Local workspaces stored only on the local device. This would function much the same as it has up to now, though the file format should be identical to that used in any other kind of workspace so that I can switch any workspace to be have Personal/local/community visibility. When switching visibility type, there should be an option to say whether individual notes and tools should be replicated/restricted.

3. Community workspaces that multiple users can log into (they will only see the content of resources in their own libraries, and maybe a marketing link if a community workspace contains a resource that's not in their library). This might be useful when teaching a class or when pointing out resources to use in a Bible study. Only resources opened in a tab are shared, and only the workspace owner can 'save' the workspace. Other users access a temporary copy of the workspace (which they can save to their own collection of workspaces). I'm not sure how notes would work in this scenario, but it shouldn't go messy if the teacher updates the Community workspace in preparation for the next lecture.

Anyway, just some thoughts on how I might use workspaces in a web-enabled Accordance app.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I don’t have all of the details on syncing with Accordance Cloud at the moment (as we get closer to a beta, I hope to have more details), but I would guess that we’ll make our entire enhanced syncing option optional. We’ll have more details to share closer to the time we rollout enhanced syncing and Accordance Cloud, so stay tuned for the moment.

Hi @Nathan Parker if youa re able to reproduce good part of desktop Accordance in web environment why don't you then replace the mobile version with this - the only difference would be that some of your library would be on the device and not in the cloud - but, crucially, you would have a much better interface and more functionality for those of us with iPads, particularly larger screen iPads

Just a thought

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leopold Green said:

Hi @Nathan Parker if youa re able to reproduce good part of desktop Accordance in web environment why don't you then replace the mobile version with this - the only difference would be that some of your library would be on the device and not in the cloud - but, crucially, you would have a much better interface and more functionality for those of us with iPads, particularly larger screen iPads

Just a thought

The biggest draw for me personally of a dedicated mobile app is that it doesn't require an active internet connection. So I don't necessarily see a web app as a replacement based on that use scenario.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mhanel said:

The biggest draw for me personally of a dedicated mobile app is that it doesn't require an active internet connection. So I don't necessarily see a web app as a replacement based on that use scenario.

That was why I said that some of the library would be on the device - I agree about not being tied to active internet connection - what I was proposing was that if Accordance can develop a web implementation which is closer to the desktop app than the current mobile app then why not reuse the web implementation as the mobile app but with your library stored locally on the device... that way we get something much closer to the current desktop version of Accordance but on an iPad

sorry didn't make myself particularly clear

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ll message our team about optional syncing, and I’ll also add it to my feature requests list. I’ll do the same with the feedback on workspaces.

While it’s technically possible that a web app can download/cache certain books for offline use (Trinitarian Bible Society’s web app offers this, and I hope we’ll offer similar functionality in Accordance Cloud sometime), we’ll still develop native mobile apps. While we don’t have anything official to announce at the moment, we’ve had some exciting discussions on how to focus on mobile moving forward, so we’re going to continue developing native mobile apps and focusing on mobile as we polish up 14 Desktop.

• Like 5

For those of us with iPad Pro's I really wish that Accordance was closer to the desktop version than its current state. The desktop version is so powerful in comparison. I want to be able to use my iPad more frequently when using accordance, but find the limitations make the iPad experience lacking especially when I know how much more can be done on desktop. I suspect that many agree that the future of accordance needs to have a more robust mobile app and/or web app.

• Like 3

Adding desktop class features to the iPad app is a major focus for us moving forward after we wrap up polishing 14 Desktop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David Rodriguez said:

For those of us with iPad Pro's I really wish that Accordance was closer to the desktop version than its current state. The desktop version is so powerful in comparison. I want to be able to use my iPad more frequently when using accordance, but find the limitations make the iPad experience lacking especially when I know how much more can be done on desktop. I suspect that many agree that the future of accordance needs to have a more robust mobile app and/or web app.

Same here!

• Like 1

Yes, I agree. I’m at iPad Pro user also and wish the mobile app had greater functionality.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Adding desktop class features to the iPad app is a major focus for us moving forward after we wrap up polishing 14 Desktop.

Hurray!  I’m another iPad user who would like more robust features on the app. 

• Like 2