Is anybody successfully using the highlight function?

Enoch

If anybody is having success doing highlighting with Accordance (above Acc 12), please tell me what to do.

After I "upgraded" [sic] to Accordance 13 from 12, I have been unable to highlight. For example, I have defined as #1 under my heading of LEXICON, cyan, medium, shape as a high long rectangle, & pattern the top choice, which appears blank -- the other choices show bars or lines.  But when I try to highlight, I get a thin underline, not a highlight at all.  How do I get highlighting to work.  I want to be able to easily put a color background to words on the screen, not a little line under the word. I did not find my answer in the Accordance help.  What am I doing wrong?  I am doing the same as I did with Acc 12 in define highlighting, only now it does not work in 13.

Hi Enoch

I use Windows, so I do not know if it makes a difference, but I just select the text, then click on the highlight icon that appears above it

image.thumb.png.6ddf6767fcffecdb1cc5591547b70753.png

I sent you a link to a webinar recording in one of your earlier forum threads you were asking about highlighting. Did that answer some of your questions?

Also, I’ve noticed you’ve posted multiple topics asking similar questions about highlighting. Please attempt to keep your questions on highlighting in a single thread if possible, as it makes it easier for Accordance users to answer your questions and for me to show to tech support if we need to file any bug reports.

• Like 2

Enoch, do you have a default highlight file called ‘my highlights’ with prearranged colors?

Hi @Enoch,

I'm also on Mac, and highlights should work on v.13. It is different in v.13 compared to v.12, and has its issues, but I have not experienced the issues you are having.

Diagnostically, have you tried creating a completely new highlight file? To do that, when you have the highlights open, by the little "Enable" thing, press the wheel and the second option is to create a new highlight file.

It is possible there is just something going on with the current file you have.

Kristin

Bildschirmfoto2023-04-12um15_32_07.png.ddc0e8162c097cc3abb4b85f969b48ed.png

• Like 1

I use it regularly every day on Mac with no issues. It's a bit fumble-ey selecting text sometimes, but works fine. 

7 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

I use it regularly every day on Mac with no issues. It's a bit fumble-ey selecting text sometimes, but works fine. 

Same here. No particular issues.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, Nathan Parker said:

I sent you a link to a webinar recording in one of your earlier forum threads you were asking about highlighting. Did that answer some of your questions?

Also, I’ve noticed you’ve posted multiple topics asking similar questions about highlighting. Please attempt to keep your questions on highlighting in a single thread if possible, as it makes it easier for Accordance users to answer your questions and for me to show to tech support if we need to file any bug reports.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, Nathan Parker said:

I kept trying unsuccessfully to get help, so I kept trying different approaches to finding the help. If I had gotten my answer the first time I asked, I would not have been trying multiple ways to get an answer (which BTW I never got on this forum).  By making my latest request, at least somebody came up with a suggestion to try: to make a newly defined highlight set, which I found that the program refused to do, when I merely changed its name -- it would not change name!

The webinar link was of little use. First it required a log in to watch it on what appeared not to be Accordance site.  I was unable to log in & was not going to try using Facebook or something like that to log in. I began reading the written transcript which was on screen, but it went on & on with what seemed to me to be useless word verbiage.  I finally found at least a partial solution by poking around.  I was getting underlining or boxing instead of normal background highlighting.  I finally tried selecting the shape choice of the black top choice in the define highlight menu, instead of the filled in box shape that I wanted (which appeared in white).  And then it worked.  I suspect that part of my problem may have been that I use black background (with green letters) as my Accordance preference (to rest my eyes from glare).  So perhaps by doing that, the shape choices did not appear correctly.  I had no such problem before with Accordance 12 & earlier, however. 

The forums seemed to glitch some of your formatting, so I did some minor cleanups for you to ensure people were able to read your response.

The webinar link should have worked with just your name and email address (that’s how I’m able to view them). They’re hosted on GoToMeeting’s video platform. If you have issues with future webinar links, let me know, and I’ll have our webinar manager look into it.

Hopefully some of the forum responses here assisted, but here’s also the direct contact info to Tech Support:

https://www.accordancebible.com/sources-of-support/

We offer both email and phone support (on phone support, you may need to leave a voicemail and have them call you back, our support teams have their hands full). They can directly assist you with any issues you’re having with highlighting if it turns out to be more complex than the answers you’re getting on the forums.

Thanks Nathan. Your surely are an attentive administrator here, helpful, & you come across as caring. Thanks again.

Glad to assist!

• 2 months later...

Hi Mr. Parker, are we able to highlight in our "user tools" or is it just in the biblical text and the tools that we purchase directly from accordance?

I am trying to highlight in my user tools, but the highlight feature is greyed out(when right clicking).

I am also on mac with an intel processor,

I don't know if that helps.

Thank you!

Edited by Rick55

1 hour ago, Rick55 said:

am trying to highlight in my user tools, but the highlight feature is greyed out(when right clicking).

Hi @Rick55,

The highlights are only possible in texts. This includes all texts. The workaround for Tools is using different font colors, but I agree it is not the same.

• Like 1

Thanks @Kristin for that!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Rick55,

The highlights are only possible in texts. This includes all texts. The workaround for Tools is using different font colors, but I agree it is not the same.

Thank you Kristin,
I did not think of using different colors instead of highlights! I will try this.
God bless you!

• Like 1

Highlighting does work in Tools from Accordance, but not in User Tools. I wonder if one converts a User Tool to a Permanent Tool, that the converted Tool would accept highlights. The drawback is that doing so forgoes the option of further editing.

NB: the help file on conversion is dated. In version 14, one does not use the gear menu, but the Tool Options found just above the gear and font size icons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

NB: the help file on conversion is dated. In version 14, one does not use the gear menu, but the Tool Options found just above the gear and font size icons.

Thanks! I've sent that in for review.