Incorrect display of BHS Apparatus superscripts

Sam Freney

Sometimes BHS apparatus notes appear as Hebrew characters rather than English letters.

This appears to happen on Mac Accordance and iOS too. Maybe elsewhere but I don't have any access to check. Mac mini M1, Ventura 13.2.1, Accordance 14.0.4.

In the case I'm detailing here, Hosea 5:5, there are two superscript letters next to each other, separated by spaces. Both the c-c note and the d-d note relate to ranges of words between those letters. In English, it's like this: 

"... both Israel and Ephraim *c*stumble in their iniquity*c* *d*Judah also stumbles with them*d*.

I've included a few images to illustrate what's going on here.

The image titled default.png shows what this verse looks like. You can see the bottom line of the verse, the 'c' note is right next to the word following it, כָּשַׁל, and the 'd' note is preceding it rendered as a dalet.

The iOS-default.jpeg file shows the same thing on iOS.

I've got a cropped BHS image showing what it should look like - the 'c' note ought to be at the end of the preceding word (בַּעֲוֹנָם) as it's the final 'c' note in the c-c range of two words at the end of that top line. The 'd' note ought to be up against כָּשַׁל. And a 'd', not ד.

Interestingly if we put a line break using the phrasing tool, the ד reverts back to a 'd'. See this in after-line-break.png. The notes are around the wrong way, which is moderately confusing but not terrible. The ranges are now listed as overlapping: c–d c–d rather than c–c d–d.

default.png

iOS-default.jpeg

after-line-break.png

BHS.jpeg

image.png.e7145dec4293c2e088b3f9344ffdc13c.png

Here's another example - the notes 'c' 'd' 'e' are out of order – left to right not right to left – and the 'e' is in the same Yehudit font as the main text, just like the d/dalet in the previous post.

On my iPad, I don’t get the font issue with Hosea 5:5, but the superscripts are in the wrong place. Compare the BHS-GBS untagged in the right hand pane, which is closer to correct.  I see much the same thing as Sam at Hosea 5:7, however, although again the GBS is closer to correct.

71F29AD2-D361-4C61-AF72-0E728812D657.png

3B2E2B56-9856-43BF-AC5B-4B549F70611C.png

Let me show this one to our teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Still seeing this in 14.0.5 by the way.

Thanks! I’ll re-report this.

Hey @Nathan Parker,

Another bug report might help to replicate this one: 

The superscripts on the BHS-T module render differently on my Intel and M1 Macs: there's no space before a superscript on the Intel platform. There is an extra space on the M1 platform.

This means that the Hos 5:5 example above may not show up like I see it, depending on the test platform (like Lorinda reported above). But Hos 7:5 does still show an 'e', as it's trying to display it with the Yehudit font.

I’ll look into it. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This bug still exists in 14.0.6, M1 Mac mini (up-to-date MacOS).

Hos 5.5 and 7.5 are good test cases for the 'd' and 'e' being rendered in Yehudit as text not superscripts.

Hos 5.5 looks fine on an Intel machine, because of the associated difference between the two platforms in whitespace around the superscripts (as detailed above).

Thanks! I'll report it again.