H3212 doesn't cross highlight

Kristin

When searching [KEY H3212] in the ESV, the key does not cross highlight with the HMT-W4. Once in a blue moon it does, but when it does, it does falsely, highlighting the word for key H3206.

I'm seeing this, too.  I think it's because Strong's distinguishes between ילך [KEY H3212] and הלך [Key H1980].   The tagging in the Hebrew texts does not: all instances are tagged as the verb הלך [KEY H1980].

Given that HALOT, TWOT, TLOT, and the CDCH do not have listings for  ילך [KEY H3212], and that the entry BDB directs one to הלך [Key H1980] without further comment, I'm guessing that current scholarship does not recognize them as separate roots, and that all instances of both Strong's defined roots are now read as being הלך [Key H1980].  Furthermore, the Mounce-Kohlenberg numbering system only uses one Key number and only recognizes  הלך.

All that said, I do believe this should be addressed somehow in Accordance, so that the cross highlighting would work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

All that said, I do believe this should be addressed somehow in Accordance, so that the cross highlighting would work.

Hi @Lorinda H. M. Hoover,

Yes, I agree completely that the issue is that pretty much everyone but Strongs thinks those two keys are the same root (I agree with everyone against Strongs also). But like you said, it really should still cross highlight to the word it is connected with.

Take care,

Kristin

Oh, and in terms of the "once in a blue moon" linking involving a different Key number, while I didn't run across H3206 being one of them, I did run across the phenomenon.  When I saw it, it was because a given English word was coded with two different Key numbers. For example, Genesis 24:5 tags "follow" with both H3212 and H0310, and אַחֲרַ֖ is cross highlighted. 

Edited to add:  Oddly enough, the "follow" in Genesis 24:8, is only tagged for H3212, even though the Hebrew involves the same construction using אַחֲרַ֖.   That seems rather inconsistent.

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I kept poking around, and found the H3206 issue you mentioned...and it is different than the double key tag I mentioned above.   Note: I presume you know most/all of the grammar/translation pieces I've included below.  They are there for others..especially Accordance staff, who might not be able to call it to mind as easily.

H3206 is the noun ילד. H3212 is the verb  ילך.  Apparently someone confused the final form of the Kaf in H3212 for the Dalet in H3206, and somehow missed the verb/noun distinction, so they linked H3212 to ילד (H3206) in the Hebrew text.  As near as I can tell, this was not done at the level of individual texts, but rather in some more global database/table/etc. that links Strong's numbers to Hebrew lemmas.  I say this because the issue persists across various Strong's numbered texts (including NRSVS and KJVS) and various tagged Hebrew Texts.

@Nathan Parker Should I/we post this error somewhere else for you to log?  If so, where?  I'm guessing it's not precisely a bug, although it is clearly an error. 

Another interesting point:   Those Strong's texts that do still use H3212 don't use it consistently: some verses tagged as H3212 in the ESVS are tagged for H1980 in the NRSVS, for example.

Finally, a number of Strong's numbered texts don't use H3212 at all.  Presumably they consistently use H1980 instead.   Among these texts are the HCSBS, NASB, and NET.

I’ll show this one to our teams. Thanks for reporting it!

We’re filing this as a module correction report. We should have all the needed details. Thanks again for reporting this!