search for Greek roots listed by number of occurrences.

A. Smith

When I search for a root (let's say +τάσσω) I get the proper hits. But I want to see an analysis by root, not by lexeme. Yes, in this particular search, all the roots would be the same.But what I'm ultimately looking to do is search a text for roots and see the analysis of which roots (not lexeme) occurs most. 

So, I can search for *+@ [ADJECTIVE] <OR> [ADVERB] <OR> [NOUN] <OR> [VERB] and this search returns the right hits (of course) but the analysis simply shows me the lexeme or whatever I choose from the dropdown in the corner. 

What I'm ultimately asking is if there is some way I can group the results by ROOT, rather than by lexeme or something else. I want to see which roots are used more and less often as a means of identifying the salient semantic fields in a discourse. 

Not quite clear to me what you want... So, for τασσω, do you want to sort, not by lexemes (e.g., ἀνατάσσομαι, ἀντιτάσσω, ἀνυπότακτος...), but by the roots used to make the lexeme? E.g.: τασσω with all the prefixes sorted: ανα, αντι, α, υπο, απο...

I don't know how to sort by lexemes, but doesn't the analysis give you all the info?

image.png.a3042a887b86090c6b125d6632eeb873.png

1 hour ago, mgvh said:

Not quite clear to me what you want... So, for τασσω, do you want to sort, not by lexemes (e.g., ἀνατάσσομαι, ἀντιτάσσω, ἀνυπότακτος...), but by the roots used to make the lexeme? E.g.: τασσω with all the prefixes sorted: ανα, αντι, α, υπο, απο...

I don't know how to sort by lexemes, but doesn't the analysis give you all the info?

No. I only used tassw as an example of searching for a root. What I want is a list of all the content lexemes in a text, grouped by root. So, for example, if I search Titus for the root tassw, I get:

Total number of sentences = 7

(total number of verses displayed = 17)

*@ +τάσσω (8 total words)

Number of different forms = 4:

(Triple-click a form to see its occurrences)

ἀνυπότακτος (α, ὑπό, τάσσω) unruly; unrestrained; independent = 2

διατάσσω (διά, τάσσω) to assign, arrange, command = 1

ἐπιταγή (ἐπί, τάσσω) commandment; authority = 2

ὑποτάσσω (ὑπό, τάσσω) to subject; to submit = 3

What I want is to identify all the roots in the text, then an analysis grouped by root and ordered by frequency. I know I can do this manually, but it's quite a lot of work, even for a small text like Titus. For example, I've searched for tassw roots and ergon roots. But searching for ergon roots only finds nominals, not all lexemes with the *erg root (which is what a root search should do, I think!). In this respect, I think I may be performing the search wrong. I'm not interested, for example, simply in verbs that compound with tassw. I'm looking for all the words derived from the *tag root, which forms words in various classes, verbs, nouns, etc. 

So, ultimately I'm asking a few different things:

1) how can I actually search the roots that are productive across all word-classes (like *erg)

2) how can I search for all such roots in a given text. In other words, generate a list of what roots are used in a text.

3) how can I sort that list by root (rather than lexeme as it seems to be currently) and frequency (this part is easy enough).

Does that make more sense?

Hmm...

1) As you have been doing, to search for all words based on a root, use, e.g.: +ἔργον
That gives all verbs, nouns, adjective forms. Were you only finding nominals because you were limited to Titus which has no verbal forms?

Your search for the τάσσω root shows both verb, adjective, and noun forms.

I don't think 2 or 3 can be done.

16 hours ago, mgvh said:

Hmm...

1) As you have been doing, to search for all words based on a root, use, e.g.: +ἔργον
That gives all verbs, nouns, adjective forms. Were you only finding nominals because you were limited to Titus which has no verbal forms?

Your search for the τάσσω root shows both verb, adjective, and noun forms.

I don't think 2 or 3 can be done.

Thank you. You'e probably right re ergon. I don't think 2 or 3 can be done either. I was hoping someone might have a way that I have somehow missed! I'll just have to go through all the words myself. Not the end of the world. 

It looks like you can construct search by ROOT but there is no group by functionality in the Analysis settings to group by ROOT.

Interesting feature request @Nathan Parker

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 4:43 AM, A. Smith said:

I want to see which roots are used more and less often as a means of identifying the salient semantic fields in a discourse. 

Does this construct help?

image.png.56703b63096428eb690649d3071f882e.png

Great. Thanks! I’ll file it as a feature request.