construct searches

Jonna L Schmidt

HI

I am in the process of trying to learn to use the construct search. So: I went over a podcast from "Dr. J" from well over 10-years ago, back when it was Accordance version 8. BUT: with a basic construct search: if I am using the ESV-Strongs (just like Dr. J did): I would have thought that our HITs would match. I have 2 main problems

a. I can not get my "HITS" to match Dr. Jay.  In the example: God, Lord within 5 words of LOVE -- I have over #100 HITS, and Dr. Jay only has 20 hits.

All of my HITS look pretty legit -- but clearly, I must be doing something wrong. 

b. I frequently make typing mistakes -- and Dr. Jay had some really cool maneuver to "delete" parts of his construct so that he did not have to start "all over",

but despite nearly an hour -- I can not get things to "delete" unless I start completely over.

I use a Mac -- so, any help with "deleting sections" so that I can re-start without re-doing would be helpful. If anyone might have suggestions with regards to why I get so many more "hits" -- all of which seem pretty legitimate to me -- that would be helpful. 

Finally: dr. Jay did NOT constrain the search to just the OLD Testament or New Testament. 

Thank you in advance. 

image.png.aafaaaaf7585d9d0468dc06099e1828f.pngimage.png.5b1e453c432e2ef3b0e55b184884ebd6.pngimage.png.680850371d8634a8a785fe8062f673f0.png

You need to add the WITHIN parameter

image.png.680d9b6eee65e0ff263a25f8daa5c466.png

1 hour ago, Jonna L Schmidt said:

I use a Mac -- so, any help with "deleting sections" so that I can re-start without re-doing would be helpful.

Hi @Jonna L Schmidt,

In order to delete a section of the construct, just select that section and press the delete button on your keyboard. As far as not starting from scratch, after you have the construct how you want it, you are also able to save it as a workspace to preserve it as a starting point.

Concerning the construct itself, @mgvh is correct you need the "Within" over it. Just be sure to also put the lov* as you had so you capture all the random "love" words. One other thing I would like to mention, is when I first started using constructs it took me a while to figure them out since it was simple to the point of it not being intuitive. So in case you don't know, in order to get the Within command, you literally just drag and drop the Within over the construct. Then you can take the little arms of the Within and move them if you need them on a different square.

I hope this helps,

Kristin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Nathan Parker,

For an ESeminar and study, can we get someone to walk us through the entirety of the construct search? Using every part with each other? How would I use the LEX with a Part connecting with the INTER? 

That is just the Hebrew. If the last one was from Acc. 8, I think it may be good to update since we are now on 14. 

Thanks. 

• Like 2

I’ll put in a request for this for sure. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:33 PM, Pastor Jonathan said:

@Nathan Parker,

For an ESeminar and study, can we get someone to walk us through the entirety of the construct search? Using every part with each other? How would I use the LEX with a Part connecting with the INTER? 

That is just the Hebrew. If the last one was from Acc. 8, I think it may be good to update since we are now on 14. 

Thanks. 

+1