Install both Accordance 13 and 14 Windows

Attie Bogaards

Is it possible to install both Accordance 13 and 14 for Windows side by side on the same PC?

Can some tell me how to do it?

Here is the official statement from the Accordance 14 page https://www.accordancebible.com/accordance-14/ -

"Note that the Accordance 14 download will install over your copy of Accordance 13. If you want to keep both, rename Accordance 13, possibly by doing something as easy as adding “13” to the file name." (Screenshot below.)

I'm skeptical about this 'easy' process. It might technically work on a Mac, but PC installations tend to be more involved. Note the word "possibly" in their statement.

Even if you are successful, the two installations (13 and 14) will likely share some files.

Each version on its own has some instabilities of its own. Opening both at once puts you at a high chance of data corruption.

Accordance 14.0.4 has come a long way from when v.14 was first released.

In my opinion, if you haven't installed either version, then you're better off installing the current version of v.14 unless you're encountering bugs in the software;

and if you're working fine with v.13, then just keep using v.13 for now unless you want to access some of the new features in v.14.

There's been word that v.14.0.5 isn't far off, and that should deal with more of the remaining bugs.

If you still want to have both installed, I'd suggest installing one version normally, and installing the other on a virtual machine or a second PC.

image.png.4a0e23496dc62dec34447d6adda6d3f7.png

It might technically work on a Mac, but PC installations tend to be more involved. Note the word "possibly" in their statement.

I wouldn't try it on a Mac.

51 minutes ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

I wouldn't try it on a Mac.

I did. It works fine for me. 😀

I have multiple versions of Accordance on my Mac. 13 and 14 live side-by-side. I go to 13 right now when 14 becomes too unstable during a study session. (Not really using the 14-specific features that much yet.)

A combination of good backups (of configuration files) and the ability to use safe mode in the event of config corruption make this not only possible right now, but almost essential with the current state of things in v. 14.

1 hour ago, T. Conrad said:

A combination of good backups (of configuration files) and the ability to use safe mode in the event of config corruption make this not only possible right now, but almost essential with the current state of things in v. 14.

Which is why I wouldn't try it.

I’ve been told there is a way to attempt it on Windows, but we don’t recommend it at the moment, as it can cause issues due to sharing the files between each other.