Insert Accordance Verses Using a Shortcut on macOS

Joe Weaks

As posted online, the most current automation technology on macOS is Shortcuts. Here's an example of the standard "Insert Verses" automation using Shortcuts on macOS (rather than my old scripts, or the Accordance Service, or the global Insert Verses function).

The Shortcut:

1. either grabs a selected verse reference or 
  2. queries you to provide on, and then 
  3. grabs that text from Accordance, using the text module specified in the Shortcut. 
  4. It then inserts that resulting text or copies it to the clipboard if that is not possible.

It can be downloaded here:

Insert Accordance Text

You change the text module by launching Shortcuts, and editing the module short name in the text block to whatever you like.

Screenshot2023-03-11at11_59_25AM.thumb.png.18fda6d9cb992626f34be17d80bd2ffc.png

(Search google for more info on working with Shortcuts.)

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1

Thank you so much.

I tried it, but keep getting this error message.  

I'm googling and learning about shortcuts, which is helpful, but I guess I've done something wrong in the syntax. 

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 6.34.54 PM.png

3 hours ago, Dan Langston said:

I tried it, but keep getting this error message.  

Hi, Dan,

Is that really the short name for that module. I suspect that's where the problem is.

Is Accordance also giving you a popup error something like "The text "CSB (2017) with Strong's" is not currently available in Accordance"?

You have to have the correct short name. Here's a shortcut, you can run it inside the Shortcuts app, which will place on the clipboard a list of all the short names for all installed text modules in Accordance. Check that list to make sure you've specified the short module name correctly.

• Like 1

Joe, Thank you! It works!  That was it exactly. That was the exact popup error from Word and Accordance.

That module of short names was very helpful.  

I saved it so I can check it later on other versions. 

• Like 1

Does this work in Big Sur? Or is it just in Ventura?

is the ShortCut limited to a single translation? or does one need to rewrite the script to change a translation? The current opt-cmd-a script allows for choice of translation as well as the verse 

That Shortcut yes you have to change the translation in the shortcut text in Automator. It can for sure be adapted to do a dropdown menu for selecting an installed translation.

Here is an example of one that functions the same, except adds an extra step for you to choose the translation.

Edited by Joe Weaks

• 9 months later...

@Joe Weaks Can this be adapted for iOS/iPadOS at all?

54 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@Joe Weaks Can this be adapted for iOS/iPadOS at all?

No, because it relies on a Run AppleScript action which is not available on iOS/iPadOS.
The Accordance devs would need to develop an App Shortcut (which IMHO would be a massive benefit) to users.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appintents/app-shortcuts

https://developer.apple.com/shortcuts/

• Like 1

Is it possible to be able to modify the shortcut to invoke the "Done" button by pressing a return? This way one would not have to take hands off the keyboard by using the mouse to click done. 

EDITED: I found out that pressing COMMAND-RETURN will invoke the "Done" button. 

By the way I duplicated the shortcut and made several shortcuts for different versions, one for NKJVS, one for GNT28-T, etc

Edited by Tony Lawrence

@Joe Weaks Thanks! That would make fir a fantastic feature request.