User Tools - Some thoughts

Schulschlus

I would love the new user tool features, if I could get them to work.

First of all, making a user tool permanent is a great option, but I do not understand why you wouldn't keep an editable copy of the user notes.

I imagine being able to make a permanent copy, while still keeping the editable file. If I find a mistake, I can edit it, and make a new permanent copy, and delete the old one.

Is this not possible? Am I missing something? As of now, I always have to manually copy the file in windows, open the copied file and then make it permanent and rename it. This should be a lot easier. For who wants to make their work permanent only to discover a mistake and having no way to edit it??

Second, I tried making a commentary, but even after making it permanent, it does not seem to scroll along with the Bible text. Isn't a commentary supposed to be in parallel? I can add it as a parallel, but it doesn't behave like one, even thought scrolling is tied.

I was hoping to have my own translation as a commentary, instead of notes, but as of now it is not working.

Help is appreciated!

image.thumb.png.b9c93adff158beb060aa9fd003077258.png

My user tool - commentary has just the verse references as show above, do I need to format it differently to work as expected. It does have a Title line that is not a verse reference beforehand, and only the Philemon section so far as a test.

I started typing some text and this happened:

image.png.c723ed3b1e2af5e011dfde8c8c7e89e0.png

Edit: when I clicked update, it actually behaved as it should, and didn't mess up everything! So just a bug in the editing window.

Edited by Schulschlus

What version of Accordance are you on? If you can send me that User Tool file, I can test the bug in the editing window. I have a handful of bug reports I need to test out over the weekend or next week.

8 hours ago, Schulschlus said:

First of all, making a user tool permanent is a great option, but I do not understand why you wouldn't keep an editable copy of the user notes.

I imagine being able to make a permanent copy, while still keeping the editable file. If I find a mistake, I can edit it, and make a new permanent copy, and delete the old one.

Is this not possible? Am I missing something? As of now, I always have to manually copy the file in windows, open the copied file and then make it permanent and rename it. This should be a lot easier. For who wants to make their work permanent only to discover a mistake and having no way to edit it??

Second, I tried making a commentary, but even after making it permanent, it does not seem to scroll along with the Bible text. Isn't a commentary supposed to be in parallel? I can add it as a parallel, but it doesn't behave like one, even thought scrolling is tied.

I was hoping to have my own translation as a commentary, instead of notes, but as of now it is not working.

Help is appreciated!

On the editability matter - I guess it's like publishing for real, but it would be nice to not lose all the highlighting etc just to fix a typo.

5 hours ago, Lawrence said:

On the editability matter - I guess it's like publishing for real, but it would be nice to not lose all the highlighting etc just to fix a typo.

True, I guess I have never used it for highlighting, more for using it in parallel. Maybe I would be better off just using notes, but I like the idea of the flexibility of the tools.

@Nathan Parker I am on the newest version of things. I have changed the File quite a bit now, but I realized the bug happens only after deleting a non english letter, like ä ö ü in German or after typing a Hebrew character and deleting it.

As to how to properly use the commentary thing, I am still not sure, are the help files updated yet, or the videos out?

Good question. I thought we updated some help files, but we may not have enough on user commentaries. Let me find out if we’re going to do a webinar on it. Maybe I can teach one.

Help files would be appreciated. I am trying to just hyperlink all the verse references, and they are in order, but it doesn't seem to work as a commentary so far.

Sounds good. I’m looking into some training we can do on the User Tool changes in 14.

• 5 months later...

were the help files ever updated to show how the new user tools work? Or were some training videos created?

I thought they were, but feel free to check and see. If they're not, I'll see what the status is on them.

I'm considering doing an Accordance 14 User Tools webinar. What features would you like to see in it? 

Or would shorter screencasts be better? 

I think formatting user commentaries, or dictionaries... would be helpful. All I could find in the forums is people showing issues of how it is not working, but not how it is actually supposed to work.

That leads me to an unrelated point: The search function in the forums seems very outdated, and it is hard to actually find what one is looking for.

Sounds good. I'll see what kind of videos I can do on those or offer them in a webinar.

I've had some search issues with the forums as well, but I don't think that can be changed without changing the forum engine itself.

On the other hand, I've had worse luck finding stuff on other Bible software forums. I generally just use a search engine to find what I want on any Bible software forums.

Greetings Accordance Family,

I am using accordance 13.3.4 on a mac. I was wondering if the user tools has a format option for paragraphs and indents and sorts?

Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2023 at 8:11 PM, Schulschlus said:

Yes! I would like to be able to retain an editable copy of a user tool that I convert to a permanent tool.

An Accordance user emailed me this:

"The old User Tool to edit is found in the Old User Tool folder in the Accordance folder. Just simply double click on it and it is again in the User Tool section."