Has Accordance Gone Insane in the triple-click to lexicon shortcut?

Enoch

I was just trying to move from Greek word in Romans 1:12-13 to BDAG by triple click. But when I click  ὑμῶν or ὑμᾶς,

I am taken to the Greek headword σύ . 

ὑμῶν τε καὶ ἐμοῦ.  13 οὐ θέλω  δὲ ὑμᾶς ἀγνοεῖν, ἀδελφοί, ὅτι πολλάκις προεθέμην ἐλθεῖν πρὸς ὑμᾶς, καὶ ἐκωλύθην ἄχρι τοῦ δεῦρο, ἵνα τινὰ καρπὸν σχῶ καὶ ἐν ὑμῖν

I should note that this is with Accordance 13.

Edited by Enoch

It's taking you to the lexical form. I'm not sure what the problem is? 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

You are viewing inflected forms whereas lexicon list by head forms

Thanks for that insight. However, do you have any evidence whatever that ὑμᾶς is lexically related to su (aside from the the Johnny Cash song). 

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

It's taking you to the lexical form. I'm not sure what the problem is? 

Thanks for that insight. But is there any evidence whatever that 

ὑμῶν or ὑμᾶς is related to σύ?

I am taken to the Greek headword σύ . 

is lexically related to the word  σύ?

Now please do not site Johnny Cash. 

I must go & see if BADG handles  ὑμῶν or ὑμᾶς under σύ.

Does Carl Darling Buck make a case for it, like the original root was sum, & we have sigma reduced to a rough breathing. I never thought of such a possibility -- Like histemi for sistemi.

Then we have the m dropped from an original form sum.

You can see that ὑμῶν or ὑμᾶς is related to σύ by hovering over the appropriate word and looking at the Instant Details. It'll show you the lexical form. 

@EnochBy the way, I’ll be teaching a series of basics webinars coming up that might really benefit you. I’ve noticed many of your posts that allude to an “issue” with Accordance are more of adjustments you could make to your preferences or an area you could use additional training in. Even though Accordance is generally easy to use, there’s still a ton of untapped power (I still regularly train myself on Accordance since there’s still plenty of functionality I’m not getting the most out of). I’d love for you to sit in on some of our webinars so we can give you some extra training in Accordance.

Thanks.  Since I bought Accordance 7 long ago, I have gone to a number of DTS located seminars.  But I do confess to being woefully ignorant at Accordance. I have planned to more or less stop everything & try to learn the thing for one week, though that may not be enough.  I don't know if Accordance over the years has changed its preferences system.  I do recall that once upon a time you could just fire up Accordance & go to it without popups wanting this or that -- or is my memory wrong?

On 3/8/2023 at 3:18 PM, Mark Allison said:

You can see that ὑμῶν or ὑμᾶς is related to σύ by hovering over the appropriate word and looking at the Instant Details. It'll show you the lexical form. 

Is Instant details clever enough to tell you if 2 words which on face do not look like forms of same lexeme are infact thus related by some fancy assimilation process (like conversion of initial sigma to a rough breathing, like in English telling you that went is not a form of go, but of wend, a suppletive form?  I just looked at Instant Details where it identified tis as a masculine pronoun, when actually it is either masculine or feminine; & it eliminates a question of interpretation which should be preserved.  I think it was in the passage on somebody not providing for family being worse than an unbeliever (or unfaithful), where it could be a female failing to make the provision -- passage used to beat men on the theological head by translating "any man" instead of "any person."  This observation goes with my contention that Instant Details should just list all the possibilities & let the reader decide for himself, as in situations where an imperfect Hebrew verb could morphologically be jussive.

Edited by Enoch

Accordance has always had the splash screen and text info screen on by default as long as I’ve been using it (which I dabbled in around v5 or v6 although I “took the plunge” on a major package in v10). I always disable those on my machines, and I’ll be covering that next week. I’ll let @Mark Allison answer the instant details question.

3 hours ago, Enoch said:

Is Instant details clever enough to tell you if 2 words which on face do not look like forms of same lexeme are infact thus related by some fancy assimilation process (like conversion of initial sigma to a rough breathing, like in English telling you that went is not a form of go, but of wend, a suppletive form?  I just looked at Instant Details where it identified tis as a masculine pronoun, when actually it is either masculine or feminine; & it eliminates a question of interpretation which should be preserved.  I think it was in the passage on somebody not providing for family being worse than an unbeliever (or unfaithful), where it could be a female failing to make the provision -- passage used to beat men on the theological head by translating "any man" instead of "any person."  This observation goes with my contention that Instant Details should just list all the possibilities & let the reader decide for himself, as in situations where an imperfect Hebrew verb could morphologically be jussive.

I started using Accordance after introductory Greek classes.

When you hover over a Greek word with an Instant Details tag, it will show the parsing, which starts with repeating the word you've hovered over, then the lexical root, followed by other information.

The declension for 'you' is σύ σοῦ σοί σέ ὑμεῖς ὑμῶν ὑμῖν ὑμᾶς. The first one of these is the 1S form, which is also the lexical entry which BDAG uses.

Note that Instant Details doesn't pair arbitrary cases like Perfect Active // Aorist Active. It always pairs the word you hover over with its lexical root.

@Enoch you can remove popups by going to Settings/Preferences—>General and selecting:
1) Suppress opening splash screen

2) Suppress opening text information

3) Suppress save warnings