PDF Viewer on Windows 11

Dr. Nathan Parker

What’s the best way for me to view PDFs on a Windows 11 PC? Is the software built-in, or do I need a third party app?

Thanks!

Microsoft Edge browser will open a pdf. If you want a bit more familiar function you can download the free version of Adobe Reader.

One that I really like is Foxit.com. I have the paid version of the Editor as well to combine various different formats into one PDF or combine files etc. I went to them after Adobe did not have a perpetual license version any more.

Great. Thanks!

Adobe's Acrobat Reader is the standard reader on Windows and is available for free from Adobe's website.

You can use it to read PDF documents, fill in PDF forms, etc - mostly adding stuff, not changing what's already on the form.

If you want to change things already on the form, that's when you need to go for the paid version or alternative software.

Depends on If you are reading a pdf for academic work, filling in a pdf form for business or other things. 

I’d just need to do casual PDF reading on Windows. I have PDF Expert on my Mac if I need to do any markup/editing.

Adobe Read for simplicity because it is the most featureful and standard. 
Sumatra for speed and variety of documents. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Trying Adobe Reader at the moment. Working pretty well. For casual PDF viewing, is Adobe Reader still king, or is Foxit good enough?

Really difficult to answer someone else's 'good enough' qualifications. 😀

Look at Sumatra. It's good for PDF, eBook formats, et al. Small, fast, clean.

But Adobe is still the one to beat, and weighing in at 800#, it's tough to do that. 

True! I’ll look into Sumatra as well. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I installed Foxit through the Windows Store recently, but now it won't install updates (keeps getting an error message). I guess I need to remove it and download it directly from the website?