order of notes for a merged Note file

Kristin

Let's say I have a Note file called A and another Note  file B, and they BOTH have notes on Gen 1:1.

If I try to merge them, I am asked to merge one file INTO another.

When the notes of A and B both get set to Gen 1:1, how is it determined by the program whether to copy A or B as the first shown on the note?

Does it change if I say to merge A into B, or if I merge B into A?

Thank you for any help anyone is able to provide.

Kristin

@Kristin

I tried it out. I had 3 files: A, B, M, all with notes about Genesis 1:1.

First, I merged A into M. Accordance offered to close both A and M, and I agreed.

When I then opened M, it was as I expected: the M notes for Genesis 1:1 came up first, then the A notes.

However, when I tried to open A to check it, I couldn't find A in the Notes file-selector. This is probably as designed.

I then tried to merge B into M. This went through silently, just like with merging A into M, but I don't think it closed the B window (it offered to do so, and I agreed).

B was still selectable and openable, and seemed to be unchanged (this is normal - I didn't expect it to change).

However, selecting M to open did nothing. After trying a few times, including closing all Bible and note tabs before trying again to open M, I still couldn't get M to show.

I then quit Accordance and tried to relaunch it. Accordance reported a crash.

I tried again to relaunch Accordance - this time it succeeded (safe-mode not used here).

Now I could open M, and it seems the second merge succeeded - under Genesis 1:1, I found the old M notes, followed by A notes, followed by B notes, then on to Genesis 1:2.

I can also open B, which remained untouched with just B notes.

I still can't find A in the Notes file-selector. I haven't checked the directory, but I expect that it's either archived or deleted.

Summary:

1. Successful Merge of X into M looks like this: X disappears, and M will display its own entries, followed by X's entries.

2. When it crashed, the merge succeeded and I retained the X note file. When it didn't crash, I lost the X note file, but the merge succeeded.

Make a backup before merging notes. In my experiment, merging succeeded despite a crash. But if I was merging 2 large notes, I wouldn't trust the final result if Accordance crashed shortly afterwards.

Edited by Lawrence
  • Thanks 1

Do you have the Accordance version, OS version, and any crash logs? We could look into that crash and see if we can reproduce it.

On 2/28/2023 at 2:54 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Do you have the Accordance version, OS version, and any crash logs? We could look into that crash and see if we can reproduce it.

I used 14.0.4 on Windows 11.

I don't see any crash logs from that crash.

Thanks for the feedback! Sometimes a crash log doesn’t create. Continue to monitor it, and if it happens again, let me know.

5 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks for the feedback! Sometimes a crash log doesn’t create. Continue to monitor it, and if it happens again, let me know.

You're welcome.

(On a side note - I didn't see your request for details for a long time. With the activity on the forums, I don't always see posts before they disappear from the set of 5 "recent topics' list. I think the system requires either a quote or an @user ping for a notification to appear in the mailbox.)

Edited by Lawrence
  • Like 1

Sounds good. I’ll try to remember to do that. @Lawrence

• Like 1