When did Accordance Mac change from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Enoch

What is the last Mac version of Accordance that will not run on a 64-bit only, OS?  Thanks ye Accordance historians.

I'm not sure about that. The first version of Accordance that was 64-bit was version 12.1, released June, 2017. It would run on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines. Perhaps @David Lang knows when Accordance stopped running on 32-bit machines. 

• Like 2

Thanks much Mark.  I see you have changed avatars. Are you a Georgia fan?  But my question is not when Accordance stopped running on 32 bit OS.  The question is, what is the last version of Accordance that will NOT run on a 64-bit only OS -- or is that the same thing?

For examples:  I have a nice 32-bit video editing program called Quick Time 7 Pro. But if I "upgrade" my computer to anything above Mojave, that program will no longer run, as above Mojave, Mac OS is 64-bit only.  So I figure that at some version level, the "legacy" Accordance will not run on anything above Mojave.  So I wonder which Accordance version is the last one which also will not run above Mojave?  Thanks ye gurus and historians.

BTW, the new Logos 10 will not run on anything below the Big Sewer OS.  There is a version minimum to connect with the Logos Sewer, I mean Server.  So if you hold on to Logos 7.xx (which is last one that works with Yosemite, which is the last OS which supports the wondrous MS 4000 keyboard), then if you buy modules, Logos will not download to your Logos 7.xx app (like with Accordance 12, sigh, the Big Brother Master Control Program [cf. the Tron movie])  since Logos will no longer connect to your computer.  And this in turn means you are forced to buy a new computer, if the Big Sewer will not install in you older computer (& you never had a problem with 32-bit programs).  But one needs Logos if one wants to make a lexicographical word search of the "entire" Greek corpus, since Accordance unfortunately does not offer the Perseus Digital Library of Greek & Latin texts nor the Loeb Classics, though the ability to make such searches is IMHO important to NT interpretation.

• Like 2

Accordance 13 will run on 32-bit systems. But I'm pretty sure that Accordance 14 requires a 64-bit computer. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/system-requirements/

And yes, I'm a University of Georgia fan. My father and I both graduated from UGA, and my son is getting ready to graduate in May 🙂

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3

As @Mark Allison said, run Accordance 13 at the moment. When you need to eventually move to a more recent version of macOS, there is a way to create a Mojave virtual machine on your Mac for running your 32 Bit apps while still having a recent version of macOS for your new stuff. 

I lived in GA for a couple of years, and it was funny that I was the one guy there who didn’t know what the Georgia bulldogs were. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Enoch said:

But one needs Logos if one wants to make a lexicographical word search of the "entire" Greek corpus, since Accordance unfortunately does not offer the Perseus Digital Library of Greek & Latin texts

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/perseus-classics-bundle-untagged-greek-english-and-notes/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Accordance 13 will run on 32-bit systems. But I'm pretty sure that Accordance 14 requires a 64-bit computer. 

And yes, I'm a University of Georgia fan. My father and I both graduated from UGA, and my son is getting ready to graduate in May 🙂

As I am a ramblin wreck from Ga Tech, I won't tell you what the Tech slogan is for Georgia!

However, I recall another saying:  "Mercer is for those who are too poor to go to Furman  & too proud to go to Georgia."

Edited by Enoch
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dandennison said:

Well blow me down; Now I have egg on my face.  I had no idea. When did Accordance add Perseus?  And will it add Loeb classics?

And will Accordance tag Perseus?  But that could  be a monumental task.  Now I have to decide if I want to buy it again, now from accordance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

As @Mark Allison said, run Accordance 13 at the moment. When you need to eventually move to a more recent version of macOS, there is a way to create a Mojave virtual machine on your Mac for running your 32 Bit apps while still having a recent version of macOS for your new stuff. 

I lived in GA for a couple of years, and it was funny that I was the one guy there who didn’t know what the Georgia bulldogs were. 

But I still want to know what Accordance versions will not run on OS Which are 64-bit only; that is everything above Mojave.  I have Accordance 8 in a computer which I seldom use, but I want to keep it.  It works in that Yosemite computer, but if I upgrade that Yosemite computer to Monterey, will Accordance 8 still work?  I would like to know what is the highest version of Accordance which will work with Catalina, the Big Sewer, Monterey, & Ventura, which I think are the start of OS that will not run 32-bit programs.

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Maybe you know, Nathan, or know somebody that knows:

I would like to know what is the highest version of Accordance which will work with Catalina, the Big Sewer, Monterey, & Ventura, which I think are the start of OS that will not run 32-bit programs.

Add Loeb to "Module Requests", and that’ll remind me to file it this weekend.

Accordance 14 will work with Mojave and higher, so it’ll work with all those versions.

7 hours ago, Enoch said:

And will it add Loeb classics?

And will Accordance tag Perseus?  But that could  be a monumental task.  Now I have to decide if I want to buy it again, now from accordance.

A suggestion was made some time ago that Accordance adopt the same technology as Diogenes for classical texts.

https://d.iogen.es/d/

I have zero knowledge on computer technology, so I can't say anything as to how it's done, but Diogenes has the capacity to take untagged texts and parse a word as well as tie it into a lexicon definition (LSJ), and does it with a high degree of accuracy. It was originally designed for parsing TLG texts. Something like that in Accordance, that could scroll with the translations, would be huge, IMHO.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Add Loeb to "Module Requests", and that’ll remind me to file it this weekend.

Accordance 14 will work with Mojave and higher, so it’ll work with all those versions.

Thanks so much for the response, Nathan. But that is not my question. I want to know what is the higher version of Accordance which works with 64-bit-only MacOS.

For example, will Accordance 8 work with Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, & Ventura? What about Accordance 9, what about 10, what about 11?  If you have 8,9,10,or 11 in your computer & upgrade OS , will that stop legacy accordance from running?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

A suggestion was made some time ago that Accordance adopt the same technology as Diogenes for classical texts.

https://d.iogen.es/d/

I have zero knowledge on computer technology, so I can't say anything as to how it's done, but Diogenes has the capacity to take untagged texts and parse a word as well as tie it into a lexicon definition (LSJ), and does it with a high degree of accuracy. It was originally designed for parsing TLG texts. Something like that in Accordance, that could scroll with the translations, would be huge, IMHO.

I think I made a feature request a few years ago that Accordance improve its ability to work with untagged texts. What Diogenes does is really simple: The author made lists of all the words in the TLG and PHI databases, fed them to Perseus’s old parsing program (before Perseus 4.0), and saved the results on a text file, where each line has a word form and the corresponding lemma. The file is used by the program to look up the parsing for words.

By now, there are also other lemmatizers available: Collatinus and Eulexis from Biblissima, the Classical Language Toolkit (cltk.org) for Python, Alpheios (JavaScript library and browser extension).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Enoch said:

What is Diogenes?  Another Bible software like Accordance?

It’s a free program for working with the TLG and PHI databases that were distributed on CD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

Thanks so much for the response, Nathan. But that is not my question. I want to know what is the higher version of Accordance which works with 64-bit-only MacOS.

For example, will Accordance 8 work with Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, & Ventura? What about Accordance 9, what about 10, what about 11?  If you have 8,9,10,or 11 in your computer & upgrade OS , will that stop legacy accordance from running?

I’m looking at these pages:

https://www.accordancebible.com/legacy-installers/

But they’re not specifically addressing your question. My recommendation would be to email Tech Support on that one to ensure they give you the correct answer.