Is version 14 safe to download yet?

ross.strader

I'm curious how stable version 14 is at this point. I purchased it on pre-order last fall. I've seen in the forums that some users have both v.13 and v.14 installed. Is that the recommended course of action at this point? After the launch debacle, and the continuing reports of bugs and quirks, I'm feeling very cautious about pulling the trigger on the upgrade. 

How difficult is it to download version 14 alongside version 13, if that is suggested? 

Thank you for any information. 

• Like 1

I have been using 14 since it came out and have not had hardly any issues with it at all. I would highly recommend taking the plunge!!

• Like 4

I am using version 14 on three of my computers without any problems at all, with one exception: if you type an invalid reference into the search bar and hit return, you are going to see the "spinning beachball of death" for about ten seconds (at least on a Mac). Version 13 would immediately tell you that your search was invalid, but version 14 likes to think about it for a while and lock up your computer while it is thinking. This is why I haven't installed version 14 on the computer I use in the auditorium at church.

• Like 3

I’m finding it 99% acceptable, with the very rare crash.  Searches can take a bit longer to process.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 2

Overall Accordance 14 has been generally solid on my everyday work to the point where I’m no longer running 13.

We are actively working on 14.0.5 at the moment, so if you want to wait until after 14.0.5 is released, it’d be one less update you’d have to download. 🙂 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ross.strader said:

I'm curious how stable version 14 is at this point. I purchased it on pre-order last fall. I've seen in the forums that some users have both v.13 and v.14 installed. Is that the recommended course of action at this point? After the launch debacle, and the continuing reports of bugs and quirks, I'm feeling very cautious about pulling the trigger on the upgrade. 

How difficult is it to download version 14 alongside version 13, if that is suggested? 

I don't think you can use both versions 13 and 14 on the same machine. I have two different computers, PC with Accordance 13 and Mac with Accordance 14.

• Like 1

Accordance 14 is working pretty well for me.  I do have Accordance 13 installed on my Mac as well.  I use it when I need a User Tool that will actually work with my Ipad.  Hopefully, we can get an iOS update at some point that will allow Accordance 14 and iOS to play well together.  You will get the spinning beach ball if you type in an invalid reference.  It is small inconvenience when working at my desk, but it is frustrating when it happens in the middle of teaching a class.  All in all I am enjoying 14 with few issues.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

Overall Accordance 14 has been generally solid on my everyday work to the point where I’m no longer running 13.

We are actively working on 14.0.5 at the moment, so if you want to wait until after 14.0.5 is released, it’d be one less update you’d have to download. 🙂 

Thank you Nathan. 

And thank to everyone for the info. 

• Like 1

I have been using V14 right from the start and it works quite well for me.

• Like 1

Version 14 freezes up and crashes for me very frequently. Version 13 never freezes up and crashes. Very frustrating. Based on reports I've been reading here, Version 14 may be working better on the MacOS than on the Windows OS. Based on my limited experience only, I don't think Windows Version 14 should be available for sale at the moment. Total disaster. Others seem to like it fine. Not sure why there is such a discrepancy. 

7 hours ago, ross.strader said:

Version 13 on its own is a known quantity.

Version 14 on its own is mostly ok when used stand-alone, but if you are syncing between devices, I'm not sure that's been sorted out yet.

If I have other applications open, I try to minimise the time v.14 is open (i.e. just open it to do something specific, then close it immediately after). I'm not completely confident that it is fully stable on Windows 11 (especially when Windows Updates are pending), but others have said they're quite happy with v.14.0.4. Having said that, it's a lot better than the earlier v.14.0.x versions. But since v.14.0.5 is coming out soon, I'd recommend taking Nathan's suggestion to wait for that.

Now, about using v.13 and v.14 together: they share the same pair of directories (broadly-speaking, preferences directory + user data directory), some file formats are incompatible between v.13 and v.14, and each version has its own quirks regarding file corruption. So if you have both open or even sometimes v.13 and other times v.14, be prepared for corruption of your Accordance files. You can always re-download everything, but any customisations, notes, etc that you want to keep will need to be scrupulously backed up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, habilious02 said:

I don't think you can use both versions 13 and 14 on the same machine. I have two different computers, PC with Accordance 13 and Mac with Accordance 14.

At least on Mac, you can have 13 and 14 installed on the same machine. I have the two and still open 13 occasionally. That being said, I've been using 14 almost exclusively, and as one of my most-used apps, since it came out. I've had practically no noticeable glitches.

Windows users do tend to have more difficulties with 14 from what I've seen on this forum. I'm not sure if it's inherent to Acc 14 or to the fact that Windows has always been reputed to be less stringent on quality control than Apple. The Acc. 14 experience in Windows seems to vary a lot, some users experiencing next-to-no bugs, others being plagued with multiple problems—but not necessarily the same ones! 

• Like 1

I'm glad you asked as I was going to post the same question. I think I'll wait until 14.0.5 is released though to install on Macbook Intel and M1

I have a couple questions.

1. With v14 installed does it tell you new update is available like usual? Or do you have to manually download and install?

2. I sync with Dropbox. Any issues with syncing to iPad/iPhone? Or syncing between computers via Dropbox? Any issues if I sync notes, etc from v14 on Macbook Intel and then sync on another computer running M1 with v13 if I keep v13 on it for awhile longer?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Larry Wing said:

I'm glad you asked as I was going to post the same question. I think I'll wait until 14.0.5 is released though to install on Macbook Intel and M1

I have a couple questions.

1. With v14 installed does it tell you new update is available like usual? Or do you have to manually download and install?

2. I sync with Dropbox. Any issues with syncing to iPad/iPhone? Or syncing between computers via Dropbox? Any issues if I sync notes, etc from v14 on Macbook Intel and then sync on another computer running M1 with v13 if I keep v13 on it for awhile longer?

I still sync my notes, which seems to work fine. I turned off syncing papers because weird things sometimes happen, like disappearing papers (even pre-14). But notes and tools seem to sync ok for me.

• Like 1

I’ll have access to a Windows PC coming up, so I can start personally testing Accordance on Windows.

14 updates the same as 13.

Dropbox syncing is the same at the moment. We are making progress on our enhanced syncing that will eventually replace Dropbox. We don’t have an ETA on its release yet, but we’re getting there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been using version 14 on a Windows 11 machine since the time it was released.  I have had some minor problems, but overall the experience has been very positive.  Most of the frustrations I have had are fairly minor: ctrl T doesn't always work to adjust appearance in a pane, panes default to paragraphs instead of sentences, stuff like that.  But I have up and on pretty much all day every day and I am not experiencing crashes and the like.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Erhard said:

I have been using V14 right from the start and it works quite well for me.

From the evidence presented by many witnesses, it appears that these testimonials should also state what computer (with details like GB of ram) & OS the Acc-14 user is using, as it might be that

some OS & some computer configurations are more acc-14 tolerant than others, & some might have Acc-14 allergy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Enoch said:

From the evidence presented by many witnesses, it appears that these testimonials should also state what computer (with details like GB of ram) & OS the Acc-14 user is using, as it might be that

some OS & some computer configurations are more acc-14 tolerant than others, & some might have Acc-14 allergy.

That is a good point Enoch. It does seem that certain computers have more issues.

I have

• Lenovo T 15 running Win 11, 16 GB ram
  • Lenovo P70, Windows 10, 16 GB ram
  • Lenovo T430, Windows 10, 8 GB ram
  • Toshiba R950, Windows 10, 8 GB ram

The T 15 is about 1 1/2 years old, The P70 about 5 or so and the others close to 10 years old

They are all business class machines

• Like 1

My new laptop, which is the only computer I've run Accordance 14 with many crashes and freezes is an LG gram 16 with Windows 11, 32 GB of RAM, and a 2 TB SSD.