Recommended Cloud Drive for Files

Dr. Nathan Parker

Since I’m already paying $10/month for iCloud+ to store my photos in iCloud and use HomeKit, I’ve also been storing my files in iCloud Drive.

However, I’ve noticed recently that on my iMac Pro (running Ventura), that numerous times iCloud isn’t fully syncing changes to my iCloud Drive. Folders will display a label under them saying “Waiting to Upload”. I have to copy the folder to another non-iCloud location, delete the folder in iCloud Drive, then re-add the folder to iCloud Drive to re-sync the folder with iCloud. If it’s a folder with large files, that gets a little painful to re-upload.

I’ve noticed this generally occurs when I have an internet hiccup (which seems to occur off and on here since someone keeps cutting a fiber cable that feeds the Internet backbone going into my city).

I’m wondering if I should stick with iCloud Drive for syncing files or look into something else. I’m also about to get a Windows PC and will likely need to sync files between my Mac and Windows PC (although iCloud for Windows is an option).

What cloud file syncing are many of you Accordance users using?

Thanks!

I use both Google Drive and iCloud (the latter which ironically uses Google Cloud Storage)

• Like 1

Thanks! If I needed more Google Cloud Storage, would I just need a Google One plan?

I have used several. I used to use Dropbox for everything, but have started de-emphasizing it as I didn't want to pay. My Church has MS Office 365 so which comes with One Drive. I use this for all church related files (including my Accordance Sessions). Personally my wife and I signed up for Apple One a year or so ago which comes with 200 gigs. I have been transitioning onto it from Dropbox. At one time I also used Box, but that was never a main clooud for me.

• Like 1

Good info. Thanks for sharing!

On 2/15/2023 at 2:23 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! If I needed more Google Cloud Storage, would I just need a Google One plan?

Google One applies to the Workspace and Photos products (think Gmail, Google Drive, Google Apps, Google Photos)

Google Cloud is a different thing entirely: https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing -- You get 5GB/free. Beyond that: 2 cents per GB per month for standard storage. For files you don't touch much it can be as cheap as 0.12 cents per month per GB. Different parts of the world may be higher.

• Like 1

Got it. I meant to say Drive. Thanks for that clarification!

• 2 months later...

Trying Dropbox at the moment. So far been working pretty well.

I have never had any issues with Dropbox. In fact, I was able to work up to 11.76 gigs of free space by referring people. Then they started limiting devices if you don't pay and that got me looking to other places. We went with iCloud for convenience as we are big into Apple tech.

Yeah, I’d have to be on a paid plan anyway you look at it with the amount of data I’d need to sync.

I was using iCloud Drive, but iCloud for Windows is really flakey. I’ll put files in iCloud Drive on my Mac, and they won’t appear on the Windows PC for ages.

In Dropbox, I throw the files in, and they appear on the Windows PC pretty much instantly.

4 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

In Dropbox, I throw the files in, and they appear on the Windows PC pretty much instantly.

If I was a PC, I'd pay for Dropbox too...

Have you ever used pCloud? I’m wondering how it compares to Dropbox. 

That's a new one to me.

I use both Dropbox and iCloud plus OneDrive as part of MS365 and a second OneDrive from work

for sharing and team editing loath to say something good about Microsoft but OneDrive/Sharepoint/Word-Excel-PowerPoint seem to work pretty flawlessly

for all my private work I use iCloud and this keeps Mac/iPad/iPhone all in sync - have never tried with a PC

I also have Dropbox which was first online service I got and I don't really know why I keep it other than for double assurance of backup

Thanks for the info!

• 2 months later...

How do you sync to iCloud? I use a MacBook Air and on Accordance, there is only the Dropbox option for syncing.

I was referring to my non-Accordance files (since this forum is for non-Accordance questions). It's true that Accordance can only sync via Dropbox at the moment.

I was not aware of that. Thanks. 

No worries!