text pane customisation still dead in 14.04

Leopold Green

CleanShot%202023-02-14%20at%2019.23.21@2https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn58cqblnxzrgpe/CleanShot 2023-02-14 at 19.23.21%402x.png?raw=1

For reasons I don't understand Acc 14 has decided to arbitrarily change the font set as default for Pseudepigraphal texts to something really quite ugly - when you attempt to change this in the customise part of set text pane display nothing happens unless you press set as default in which case Acc crashes... 

please can you give me an indication of when this might be fixed? If there is one thing which really buggers up use of any tool it is scrappy messy distracting fonts 

Edited by Leopold Green
  • Like 2

Moved this to Bug Swatters so we can track it down. What macOS version and Mac hardware are you running 14.0.4 on?

• Like 1

latest Ventura (as updated yesterday) - iMac Pro 64Gb memory

• Like 1

I’ll try to these this after I update my copy of Ventura (so I’m on as close to specs as yours).

• Like 1

I, too, am experiencing this. On Ventura 13.0.1 (2020 M1 MacBook Air) and Acc 14.0.4

• Like 1

Thanks! I’ll report this bug.

Since I'm still running Monterey on my Mabook, I thought I'd check and see if this is Ventura specific. It is not.  In the meantime, I discovered a few more things that may be helpful to note:

-Initially, the texts I tested on were all set to Helvetica Neue and seemed to display correctly.  (This is my default setting in Preferences)

-if I open the set text display window for a specific text and change the font, the font will change in the sample, but not to the selected font.  If the set text display dialog is closed by choosing "ok" and then reopened, it will show that the font is the top-most font in the font list.  In my case, that's Academy Engraved LET.  But the fact that the OP's screenshot lists a font beginning with 1942, and Accordance's proclivity to choose the topmost item of a list instead of the chosen item makes me pretty confident that's what is happening here. [see below for detailed steps to reproduce]

-it's not limited to Pseudepigrapha texts.  After I confirmed the bug using Pseudepigrapha English (Charlesworth), I tried the BIshops Bible, and had the same thing happen.  

To reproduce:

-Open a text in Accordance

-click anywhere in the text and then press command-T

-in the set text display window that opens, click the "Customize Theme" button

-change the font listing in the font dropdown (right hand side, part of the "Content" section at the top); I suggest using something that is quite distinctive, and watching the sample box on the left as you do so.  Do not use the topmost font in the list.

-the drop-down now will show the font you chose, but the sample will not use that font.

-click the "ok" button on the bottom right

-press command-T again, followed by "Customize Theme"

-take a look at the font named in the font dropdown; verify that it is not the chosen font, but the topmost font in the list

• Like 2

I too have this Text and Tool Display preference problem persisting with the latest macOS and 14.0.4

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.

I discovered the bug when working with an imported Bible text. Changing the font from "Set text Pane Display>Customise Theme" does nothing.  Not even in the Preview window.

macOS 13.2.1

2018 MacBook Pro

Acc 14.0.4

Same. Here is a video showing Accordance 14.0.4 with the text display different than the preferences. I close the pane and when I open a new pane the correct settings are applied. Then after quitting the app and reopening, the wrong settings are applied again. 

Also the scripture reference setting will not allow me to change the font. No matter what is selected, it defaults to Helvetic Neue. Line spacing is set to 40% but the numeric value indicator in the preference pane is always opening showing 1%.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 2.47.58 PM.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, William Cross said:

Same. Here is a video showing Accordance 14.0.4 with the text display different than the preferences. I close the pane and when I open a new pane the correct settings are applied. Then after quitting the app and reopening, the wrong settings are applied again. 

Also the scripture reference setting will not allow me to change the font. No matter what is selected, it defaults to Helvetic Neue. Line spacing is set to 40% but the numeric value indicator in the preference pane is always opening showing 1%.

It is a real drag and whilst might seem a 'first world problem' having ugly fonts with screwed up leading does not make for conducive reading or study

I meant to ask @Nathan Parker if this was one of the bugs that would be covered in 14.0.5?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leopold Green said:

I meant to ask @Nathan Parker if this was one of the bugs that would be covered in 14.0.5?

I'd wish that fix to come out soon, as it is rather insufferable having to change what I teach every time I run Accordance

• Like 2

Our teams are still working on 14.0.5, so I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll know as we get closer on releasing it.