Lost some user tools work.

marco sanchez

I'm typing away, for some time, maybe 10 or 15 minutes or more. Putting some scripture links in the writing of my user notes, really feeling like I got some inspiration from God, and I go to close the edit window and because I didn't create a link correctly- maybe the highlight picked up some of the next word or something like that, and a window pops up for a second saying something about the link not being correct, and then the window closes without saving my work. 😞 Yikes! Am I the only one this happens to?  This has been a problem for several years now. I know the work around is to save my work more often but I some times forget to do that. Or to use the link button in the edit window but it often does not work. So I have to do it manually.

I was really hoping for the "user tools" to be a little reworked some time. The spell check and maybe improved word possessing with paragraph formatting. It is a hassle to write something in a word possessor without having scripture links and then to import it when I am done. I know you guys have a lot on your plate. But I was just wondering if this was ever going to be done?

I'm sure you guys are busy with a lot on your plate. We really should pray for the accordance company and developers 🙂

Blessings.

Marco

Using version 13.3.4

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi @marco sanchez,

Yes, this has happened to me for both Notes and Tools (and Highlights). It is beyond frustrating. Unfortunately saving more often is NOT a solution since I have seen my work in Accordance become corrupted even AFTER I had saved it.

Since Accordance is VERY susceptible to corruption, and because it does stuff like you described, where it will sometimes randomly close before I have a chance to save, I have personally done the following:

1) Last year I spent 8 months manually exporting my Tools and Notes. Accordance supposedly has a small export functionality, but since it won't work above 500 words I needed to do it by hand (according to Support) copying and sections and pasting it in a Numbers file. This worked pretty well since the Numbers program put the verse on one line, and the note on the next and it kept it organized and searchable. It was extremely time consuming, but I could not afford to lose my work again because of Accordance corruption.

2) For future Tools I actually create the Tool somewhere else (Numbers) then just paste it into an Accordance Tool. Then no matter what happens I won't lose my work.

3) Notes are made more on the fly so it is more complicated. I started trying to just write all my Notes in Numbers and paste it in Accordance, but it has not been practical. I have found that I need to just make Notes in Accordance and once a week export my Notes by hand, which is ridiculous, but I am not aware of another solution. So it is a bad combination of Accordance not having practical export functions and a history of corruption.

If I sound frustrated, it is because I am. I have needed to try to recreate YEARS of work which Accordance corrupted. When I first started working with Accordance I was not careful to backup my work manually since that is EXTREMELY time consuming, and I did not realize it was needed since I had actually never in my life seen a program corrupt before, I had heard of corruption with computer files, but didn't know what it really meant until I saw my Notes, Tools, and Highlights become unusable corrupted by Accordance.

@Nathan Parker, it has been requested on multiple times by multiple people for multiple years that Accordance NEEDS a one-click "export" for users to be able to implement whenever they want making their work viewable somewhere else (my perfect world is Numbers). The Tool and Notes I have spent years creating is my own personal work, yet I cannot even access it without opening Accordance.

For years I thought that was annoying, but workable, UNTIL my Notes and Tools (and Highlights) got corrupted beyond use on multiple occasions. I am sure you would agree with us, the users, that it is obviously unacceptable for there not to be a way to easily preserve work.

Kristin

• Like 7

Holly Molly! Wow! You have been through a lot. I know this is an amazing program. Accordance has really changed my life. But it should not be necessary to have to do all that you are talking about, just to protect your work. I know we have bible programs to study the bible, I get that. But for many of us out here, we also take notes through all of our study time. So I would think Accordance would put a high valve on being able to edit notes in a safe environment. The system is already in place. Isn't there a way to make it more reliable? This is the main reason I have not updated to the new version. It doesn't seem like there was any improvement in these areas.

And also the sync option. Again, one of the things that has made this program so amazing is that I can have my notes on my iphone and ipad. I mean that is a big deal. But syncing to the phone and ipad has nearly lead me to mysticism. I mean I try to set the phone in a certain place and make sure all the files are closed, and then the moon has to be out and everything has to just right. And if I have enough faith it will sync. But half of the time it doesn't work. I must have some secret sin or something.

Well, seriously, Accordance is amazing. and I know they are working hard. As I have said, I think we need to really lift them up in prayer. I have been with accordance for, I think since version 3. I love what they are doing and I hope they will be around till our Lord returns.

Edited by marco sanchez
  • Like 4

We did make some enhancements to User Tools in Accordance 14. We are discussing better export options in a future update to Accordance. I agree it’s something we need.

• Like 4

Did they do any work on the sync option in 14, or do they plan on supporting that function any time soon?

22 hours ago, Kristin said:

If I sound frustrated, it is because I am. I have needed to try to recreate YEARS of work which Accordance corrupted. When I first started working with Accordance I was not careful to backup my work manually since that is EXTREMELY time consuming, and I did not realize it was needed since I had actually never in my life seen a program corrupt before, I had heard of corruption with computer files, but didn't know what it really meant until I saw my Notes, Tools, and Highlights become unusable corrupted by Accordance.

@Nathan Parker, it has been requested on multiple times by multiple people for multiple years that Accordance NEEDS a one-click "export" for users to be able to implement whenever they want making their work viewable somewhere else (my perfect world is Numbers). The Tool and Notes I have spent years creating is my own personal work, yet I cannot even access it without opening Accordance.

For years I thought that was annoying, but workable, UNTIL my Notes and Tools (and Highlights) got corrupted beyond use on multiple occasions. I am sure you would agree with us, the users, that it is obviously unacceptable for there not to be a way to easily preserve work.

Hi Nathan,

it seems that this should really be a priority since it is a fairly serious bug. Any way of getting a fix expedited?

• Like 2

@marco sanchez We are working on the enhanced syncing feature for Accordance 14. We don’t have a definite ETA on it yet, but we are making progress on it.

@Erhard I'll bring up the user data corruption issues. The enhanced export feature is something we’re discussing, although that would likely be in a future update. 

• Like 1