Webinar: Celebrating International Septuagint Day with Accordance! 2/8 at 12p Eastern

Abram K-J

I'm leading a Webinar tomorrow (Wednesday, 2/8/23) at 12:00 p.m. Eastern called, "Celebrating International Septuagint Day with Accordance!" 

The link to register is here.

Description: "In 2006, the International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies [IOSCS] established February 8 as International Septuagint Day, a day to celebrate the Septuagint and encourage its study" (from the IOSCS Website). Join Pastor, Instructor, and Septuagint enthusiast Abram Kielsmeier-Jones as he shows attendees a variety of Septuagint resources available in Accordance. Abram will also show how to set up your Accordance workspace to maximize your time spent reading and studying Septuagint texts. Target audience is anyone who loves to (or wants to) read the Septuagint: from beginner to scholar.

To this post I'm attaching the session handout.

2023.02.08 Intl Septuagint Day AKJ.pdf

• Like 1

This is great, Abram. I won't be able to attend the webinar, but I appreciate you sharing your handout here. Yay for International Septuagint Day! I will register so I can watch it later.

BTW, I didn't see it mentioned on the handout, and you were maybe going to mention it, but most Accordance libraries actually come with two different LXX texts.

There is the Rahlf's, of course, which you note. (And do also note that while Accordance includes the basic Rahlf's in most packages, it does also offer Rahlf's with the apparatus as an upgrade for text critical work: https://www.accordancebible.com/product/lxx-rahlfs-tagged-text-lxx1-2-with-apparatus/)

BUT...

Most Accordance libraries do also include the Cambridge LXX (editio minor) by Swete that is the text used in the "Greek Bible (LXX + GNT). It is fully tagged.

Rahlf's is the better text to use, but to get deep into the weeds of LXX text critical work, why is Swete helpful to know? Until one invests in the Rahlf's upgrade or the Gottingen ($$$) edition or the Swete's with apparatus which Accordance also offers, it can alert us to some text issues. Rahlf's and Gottingen are reconstructed texts trying to provide the 'best' reading in light of all the mss, much like the NA28 does for the NT. Swete uses Vaticanus as a base text and supplements it with other mss where Vaticanus is lacking.

So, as in my graphic below, one can set up Swete's (left) and Rahlf's (right) in parallel and use Compare to see some differences. (In Gen 1.11, Swete had to use Alexandrinus, but you can see the extra phrase it adds. I'm not sure why the two words highlighted in blue are marked as differences.)

image.thumb.png.6d1658ca2b9b39c502cde5337dc21871.png

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 2

I think under the gear icon that shows up as soon as you click Compare, you must have it set to "Lexical Forms." If you change it to "Words," those blue highlights go away.

• Like 2

As to why one text parses εἶπεν as coming from λέγω and the other as coming from εἶπον, I will never know.

(I vaguely recall asking about this on the forums about a decade ago and the answer amounting to something like: different people/org do the tagging for different texts, so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Abram K-J said:

I'm leading a Webinar tomorrow (Wednesday, 2/8/23) at 12:00 p.m. Eastern called, "Celebrating International Septuagint Day with Accordance!" 

The link to register is here.

Really looking forward to this - thanks for doing it at a time which is very European friendly!

• Like 2