HALOT layout

stighagen

Hi!

Is there a way to break up and add spaces in the layout in HALOT? Accordance shows the word descriptions as one big chunk, making it tedious to look through all the information in such a complex lexicon. See screenshots how Bibleworks rendered HALOT with spaces between information (from a video, don't mind the markup). I know Logos can do the same. I've included the Accordance screenshot for reference.

Accordance.png

Bibleworks 2.png

• Like 5

It looks like the paragraph breaks are identical. The only difference is just a little extra spacing between the paragraphs.

A.D.

• Like 1

I agree with @stighagen that is can be difficult to read through a massive block of text to find what you are looking for. I wonder how difficult it would be to edit the module to add the spaces as illustrated in the initial post of this thread. I for one would welcome such a change.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

I agree with @stighagen that is can be difficult to read through a massive block of text to find what you are looking for. I wonder how difficult it would be to edit the module to add the spaces as illustrated in the initial post of this thread. I for one would welcome such a change.

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta,

I was thinking that too, but then it occurred to me that it might be asking for more corruption. Right now we have corruption with Notes and Highlights, both of which came because of changes made to v.13 from v.12. So it seems risky to mess with it, and I think I would prefer keeping corruption out of the dictionaries.

8 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta,

I was thinking that too, but then it occurred to me that it might be asking for more corruption. Right now we have corruption with Notes and Highlights, both of which came because of changes made to v.13 from v.12. So it seems risky to mess with it, and I think I would prefer keeping corruption out of the dictionaries.

@Kristin I was not asking for user controlled changes. I was asking Accordance to reformat the module to include breaks in large block entries (as illustrated in the lead post). I would envision it as fixed formatting (not user controlled). It would only necessary for large entries. As you know, some entries in HALOT are long (vide supra) and others short. This proposal is to make the longer entries easier to read (for old eyes like mine). Such changes to the tool itself should be agnostic to the app version number (I write as one who is not a programmer).

• Like 2

I think it's a great idea to reformat HALOT a little to make it easier to read. Would be pretty easy. Maybe with the next round of HALOT corrections @David Langcan take care of it 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael J. Bolesta said:

I was not asking for user controlled changes. I was asking Accordance to reformat the module to include breaks in large block entries (as illustrated in the lead post). I would envision it as fixed formatting (not user controlled).

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta,
Just to clarify, I had also been speaking of changes Accordance would potentially make. (The idea of user controlled spaces actually never occurred to me). That said, I don't think the corruption issue is specifically user controlled, but rather just something which happens when the programmers make changes to the program at all. I personally noticed corruption to Notes and Highlights, but I have read multiple threads here where users were seeing corruption to the actual Hebrew and Greek texts after moving to v.14. So I don't think that "user controlled changes" risks corruption, but just "changes" seems to risk corruption.

2 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

I think it's a great idea to reformat HALOT a little to make it easier to read. Would be pretty easy. Maybe with the next round of HALOT corrections @David Langcan take care of it 🙂

Hi @Mark Allison,
Since you mentioned this while I was typing my response I figured I would ask you my concern also. When you say it would be "easy" does that mean "low corruption risk"? If it would not destroy my dictionaries, I would agree completely that spaces would be helpful. I can't even number how many times I have gotten frustrated trying to search for the buried Hi in HALOT. But I can't stress enough, not worth it if it risks corruption.

Kristin

• Like 2

I don't think corruption is a risk at all. However, it might mess up whatever highlighting you have in the module. That might be a dealbreaker for some.

• Like 3

One thing I’ve done with BDAG and HALOT that has made it easier to use is I do have mine set to include a verse reference when Amplifying. That’s allowed me to focus in on where my passage is mentioned in BDAG or HALOT. Accordance makes it so easy for me to direct my eyes/focus right where I need to in the entry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nathan Parker said:

One thing I’ve done with BDAG and HALOT that has made it easier to use is I do have mine set to include a verse reference when Amplifying. That’s allowed me to focus in on where my passage is mentioned in BDAG or HALOT. Accordance makes it so easy for me to direct my eyes/focus right where I need to in the entry.

That works when the verse in question is in BDAG or HALOT, but that is not true in all cases. So if I amplified to HALOT on a verb from a verse that is not referenced, I have to scroll to the appropriate stem and scan the possible definitions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

That helps when a verse is mentioned in HALOT but many are note referenced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miketisdell said:

That helps when a verse is mentioned in HALOT but many are note referenced.

True for BDAG (and other lexica) as well.

• Like 1

True.