Now Accordance 13 Has Gone Haywire

pder3571

After lauding how much better Accordance 13 was than Accordance 14, and after uninstalling 14 and reinstalling 13.4.2.0 from the Accordance web link, as of just a few moment ago, Accordance 13 went berserk by opening, and opening, and opening, probably a hundred or more time, before I finally had to shut down my computer, just to stop the cycle and regain control of the computer.

This is the first time that has ever happened, even though I had noticed how quirky Accordance 13 had been acting lately. In fact, prior to all the back-and-forth installing and reinstalling, Accordance worked great! Is 13.4.2.0 even the latest version prior to Accordance 14's roll-out? I do not think that it is. Was there not a 13.4.4?

Anyway, here is my dilemma. I do not have any confidence in Accordance 14, as even after update 4 came out, and reading the comments, it is still not "fixed." And Accordance 13 is now acting like it may be possessed.

What can I do? I need a reliable version of Accordance to work, just like it did before. Who can point me to that version?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pder3571 said:

Was there not a 13.4.4?

The help file shows 13.4.2 as the last release on 10/05/22.

Acc 13.png

• Like 2

Just now, Max Carlton said:

The help file shows 13.4.2 as the last release on 10/05/22.

Acc 13.png

Yeah, that's the version that I downloaded and installed, and was working okay, until recently.

• Like 1

Sorry to still you’re now having issues with Accordance 13. My recommendation would be to call Technical Support (you may need to leave a voicemail and have them call you back, they have had a large share of calls at the moment). That way you can work with someone live on the phone to troubleshoot your issues and get something running stable for you.

Due to the amount of issues you’ve had with both 14 and now 13, I’d offer to call you myself and work through them, but I don’t have 13 running on my system, so I likely wouldn’t be much substantial help.

Tech Support can definitely work directly with you to ensure you can get Accordance 13 running smoothly. Before I came to work for Accordance and I was just an Accordance user, I’ve always noticed Accordance has the best phone support in the industry. Billy always cared about my issues and worked overtime to get me taken care of (he even helped me get Accordance 9 running on a PowerPC Mac once!). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pder3571 said:

What can I do? I need a reliable version of Accordance to work, just like it did before. Who can point me to that version?

Hi, you need to start accordance in safe mode, and then disable "check for automatic updates." 

That will stop the program from opening hundreds of windows. I've had this before.

1. Double click your Accordance shortcut to start the program.

2. Press Opt+ while starting Accordance. hold it until the dialog box appears.

3. Check Disable automatic updates, 

image.png.62e837111c77552147368b95fdc3e2aa.png

It should work.

• Like 2

UPDATE: The Accordance 13 demon has been exorcised. It was the Automatic Update, as some here pointed out. Did not have to use Safe Mode, though. For whatever reason, it finally got tired of replicating. When it quit, that is when I went in and adjusted the Preferences, disabling the AU. So, it is mostly functional, again, at least for now.

• Like 2

I am not a fan of automatic updates on anything including apple os so nearly always check to make sure it is disabled whenever i install something. I prefer to decide when to update so i know i have checked to make sure i have a good and recent backup first should i need to roll back.

I prefer to be a late adopter these days and let others find the bugs first.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, pder3571 said:

UPDATE: The Accordance 13 demon has been exorcised. It was the Automatic Update, as some here pointed out. Did not have to use Safe Mode, though. For whatever reason, it finally got tired of replicating. When it quit, that is when I went in and adjusted the Preferences, disabling the AU. So, it is mostly functional, again, at least for now.

Good to hear.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 12:39 PM, pder3571 said:

After lauding how much better Accordance 13 was than Accordance 14, and after uninstalling 14 and reinstalling 13.4.2.0 from the Accordance web link ...

My Version 14.0.4.0 freezes up a lot, eg, just switching "Verses" to "Words" in the Search window after having done a verse search consistently causes it to freeze up. So I was thinking about reverting to an earlier version. Do I need to fully uninstall my current version and all of my texts and commentaries, etc, and then re-install everything to do this? Is there perhaps a simpler way to do this?

Edited by robrecht
  • Like 1

Maybe it is related to problems with the update site itself. I get errors when I check for updates and cannot install new items in my library.

Accordance: Is the UPDATE site down again???

• Like 1

@pder3571 Glad to hear Accordance 13 is working for you now! Great news on that front.

@robrecht Someone here might be able to walk you through it. I have the instructions for Mac but not Windows at the moment.

12 hours ago, robrecht said:

My Version 14.0.4.0 freezes up a lot, eg, just switching "Verses" to "Words" in the Search window after having done a verse search consistently causes it to freeze up. So I was thinking about reverting to an earlier version. Do I need to fully uninstall my current version and all of my texts and commentaries, etc, and then re-install everything to do this? Is there perhaps a simpler way to do this?

You know, robrecht, that is a great question that I cannot answer. I know that I did, after doing the Accordance 14 thing and simply updating and installing the software, like I have always done with Accordance since version 8. But this time, that was a big mistake, which no one alerted me about at the beginning. So, by the time I was done doing the install, and discovering how messed up 14 was, it was too late. So, I ended up completely uninstalling Accordance and starting over, which was long a tedious. The current version I'm kinda-sorta running is 13.4.2, but it is not what I had before. I just know it. It doesn't "feel" the same, if that makes any sense. All I can say is that 13 is at least functional, and that I wish 14 was. After all, I paid for it. So, hopefully someone much wiser than I can give you the definitive answer. Regardless of what you do, I doubt that you will be satisfied. I know I'm not. And I sincerely doubt anyone will be until those at Accordance fix all the errors, bugs, cretins, gnomes, demons, or whatever that have left us asking questions just like yours.

Edited by pder3571
  • Like 1

I had my first meeting with our developer team this week. I was able to sync up their list of reported bugs in Accordance 14 (that haven’t been resolved in Accordance 14.0.4) with the list of feedback/bugs here on the forums, so they have the latest and up-to-date list to work on for 14.0.5 onward.

One major focus at the moment is improving download speeds on modules for Windows users (and overall improving the connection between Accordance Desktop and Accordance’s servers). Some of the puzzle pieces are already in place due to some recent server changes, but I would expect to see/hear more on this front coming up.

• Like 1

Nathan, will you start a new thread for unresolved issues once 14.0.5 comes out so that it will hopefully be a shorter list that can be scanned faster for remaining issues?

• Like 3

Absolutely! That would be great. After 14.0.5 is released, I’ll un-pin that thread and pin a new post-14.0.5 thread asking for bug reports. I may start doing that with each release of 14 until the main issues are resolved (maybe stop it around 14.1 and go back to just monitoring the bug swatters threads).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Absolutely! That would be great

Please don't do that unless most of the bugs are fixed. If all my bug reports are still valid for 14.0.5 please don't let me do all the work again from scratch.

• Like 1

You won’t need to do everything from scratch again, as I’ve already ensured all of your bug reports did get submitted. Once 14.0.5 is released, if you have a summary of the non-syntax bugs (just add one post with a handful of one liners that says “text display issue still not resolved”, etc.), that’ll help me pinpoint which bug reports I filed I’ll need to update in the system as still needing addressed.

The syntax bug resolutions may not make it into 14.0.5. We may need to devote a single update just to working on syntax bugs since there’s quite a bit of those to address. I did submit all of those in the system including the direct link to your thread that elaborates everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s likely too late to do this for early 14 releases, and I’m not sure if this could be added to the forums or how something like this could be setup (I’d have to research it), but long-term, I think it would be neat if there was a way for feature requests and bug reports to act similar to “UserVoice”. Customers could report bugs and feature requests and see all bug reports in a centralized location and feature requests in another centralized location, then our developers could tag them as “Acknowledged”, “In Progress”, or “Resolved (or Added) in Version x”. 

That way, instead of customers having to send in the same bug reports multiple times, they could track their progress from a centralized location. The reports would allow users to comment on them as well (so if multiple users are having the same issue, they could comment on the issue stating it, same with multiple users interested in a piece of feedback).

This isn’t something we’ve officially looked into at the moment, but it’s an idea that’s crossed my mind this afternoon as something potentially-useful.

• Like 3