Has anyone tried to downgrade back to V13?

Cnthetford

So after several weeks of trying, I've decided that the new version is just unusable on Windows, so I want to go back to V13.   I know I could probably uninstall and download the old version, but then I would have to re-download all of my resources.  Also, I'm not sure if users tools and things like that would be backward compatible.  Has anyone tried this and how did the process go?  Is there an easier way to downgrade?

Hi @Cnthetford,

I am sorry for the difficulty you have had with the program. I had personally been waiting to download v.14 until the bugs in the beta test were taken care of, so I have never downloaded v.14. So I don't have personal experience doing it, but I know others have done it.

I am not sure about if you need to redownload resources or not, but concerning your tools and notes, I would make sure to close v.14, then rename the program to something like "Accordance14" or something and then download v.13. That is not necessary, but would be precautionary to not loose data. (I would also back up all my data before trying anything.)

Concerning backward compatibility, it depends on the tool. People have reported that some tools and notes work fine, and others do not.

If you search the forums for "downgrade" there are a few threads of people downgrading which might be helpful. I found this video from @KevinPurcell. He is on a Mac, but he provides a video which might be helpful, and I am sure a lot of the principles he mentions would be cross-platform.

https://www.kevinpurcell.org/how-to-downgrade-from-accordance-14-to-accordance-13/

I hope this helps some,

Kristin

• Like 1

Because the V14 bibliography choices include more options than V13, the bibliography tool of V13 will not provide any bibliography styles and you will have no choices in the bibliography preferences as seen in the screenshot provided.

—Joseph

1872551502_ScreenShot2023-01-29at12_39_23PM.thumb.png.6e8facd5dc458b66b6797c831f1da9a8.png

• Like 1

@KevinPurcell or @R. Mansfield might have some instructions for you to reinstall 13 while preserving your library. If not, Support will for sure.

This might help. I haven't tried it

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:41 AM, Kristin said:

... If you search the forums for "downgrade" there are a few threads of people downgrading which might be helpful. I found this video from @KevinPurcell. He is on a Mac, but he provides a video which might be helpful, and I am sure a lot of the principles he mentions would be cross-platform.

https://www.kevinpurcell.org/how-to-downgrade-from-accordance-14-to-accordance-13/

I hope this helps some,

Kristin

Early on in the video, Kevin says he doesn't think this will work on a PC. Has anyone successfully done this on a PC?

• Like 1

Hi @robrecht,

I re-watched the video and couldn't find the part where he talks about Windows, but I do remember something about that the first time I watched it. Do you have a minute mark? Just based on my memory when I watched it before, my recollection is that he was recommending not keeping 14 alongside 13, as opposed to replacing it. I think the reason he said this is because on a Mac you just need to rename a program with it closed, while I think on Windows you need to make sure it is called the same thing in a few locations for it to actually open. So I might be completely wrong, but I think he was cautioning against keeping both versions, as opposed to cautioning against downgrading.

Regarding the broader question about downgrading on Windows, while no specific thread is coming to mind, I am sure people have done it. A lot of people have downgraded without a problem, and it just wouldn't make sense statistically that they happened to ALL be Mac users.

I would just make sure you back up your data first, and make sure the program is completely closed before doing anything.

Kristin

• Like 1

I run both 14 and 13 at the same time.

Yes, make sure to back up everything first.

Then move the folder which contains the Accordance 14 .exe file to a place you want to keep it.

Now install version 13, or even better, see if you can get a Acc. 13 folder with the exe. file. You need to copy the whole folder containing that exe. file to your computer you want to use it on. If you can do this, you don't need to move the Acc. 14 folder.

However you do it, you'll have to have one folder in a different place than the other. If you install a newer version of Accordance it aways wants to replace all the old files.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

Hi @robrecht,

I re-watched the video and couldn't find the part where he talks about Windows, but I do remember something about that the first time I watched it. Do you have a minute mark? ...

At 1:08 he says, "If you're on Windows, I think you just have to uninstall it and reinstall Version 13 ..."

• Like 1

Hi @robrecht,

Thank you for the minute mark. :) Anyway, thankfully @Accordance Enthusiast seems to have experience with it on Windows without a problem, so that is good. I think I would personally just only keep 13, since by the time 14 is ready there will for sure be another 14.something, but it apparently works fine to keep both on Windows. I know on a Mac the program can crash if you have both versions actively open (since the programs share notes, highlights, and some other things, so I imagine that is good to keep in mind on Windows also.

• Like 1

Yes, it could crash if you use both at the same time.

But there is no problem to use one at a time on Windows and have both ready to use. 

I like the new features on version 14 and as a Beta tester I keep using it and reporting issues. 

I'm really hoping that most of the issues will be sorted out within 6 months!

You really don't have to uninstall version 14, just delete or move the whole folder which contains the .exe file before installing version 13.

• Like 1

Thanks, Kristin & Accordance Enthusiast.

The location of the folder containing the executable file is C:\Program Files (x86)\OakTree\Accordance

You need to be an administrator to copy, move, rename this folder. So far seems to be working. I moved and renamed the Accordance 14 folder and then copied the Accordance 13 folder it from my old laptop. So far it seems to be working.

• Like 1

I had also emailed Accordance Tech support about downgrading to Version 13 and they recommended deleting and doing a new installation. I then told the about this method and they don't recommend it. I can't (or won't!) reproduce their long emails here but just wanted to let people know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robrecht said:

So far seems to be working. I moved and renamed the Accordance 14 folder and then copied the Accordance 13 folder it from my old laptop. So far it seems to be working.

Good to know it is working though not recommended.

If you make a backup of everything, the worst case scenario would be that you have re re-install accordance.

Not much to loose, and better for me than to uninstall and reinstall from the start.

I also like using various versions of Accordance so I can compare the functionality and also switch back to 13 when needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

Good to know it is working though not recommended.

If you make a backup of everything, the worst case scenario would be that you have re re-install accordance.

Not much to loose, and better for me than to uninstall and reinstall from the start.

I also like using various versions of Accordance so I can compare the functionality and also switch back to 13 when needed.

There is a worse case as some users here have reported: silent corruption of user data. Backups help, so long as you are able to get back to a 'known good copy' of your data.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After this weekend trying to teach from my iPad for a large group and my small frustations became huge, I am weighing downgrading to v.13. I have a question, if I downgrade to 13, will my iPad app finally allow me to edit and view user tools? Or do I need to somehow downgrade the iOS app? Is that even possible? 

Your iPad app will allow you to view user tools edited in 13. If you’ve already edited those user tools in 14, you still won’t be able to open them until we update the app.

We should have an app update shortly after 14.0.5 for desktop is released.

• Haha 1

For (especially Windows) users having issues with 14, before you attempt to downgrade to 13, I recommend waiting for 14.0.5. We should have it released around the end of the month.

What's the current beta version? Last I heard, on April 10th, it was at 14.0.5b2 

We’re up to b4. I’m installing it on my devices today.